Featured Cardmaker: Marlene F., Hillsboro, OR

Hello everyone! TGIF! This week I have the pleasure of introducing you all to Marlene and to share a few of her great cards with you. Marlene currently serves on the OWH Board of Directors (along with a bunch of other amazing ladies) and you can read more about her here. She doesn't have a blog but I do hope you will take a moment to say hello and leave her a comment at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping? Two years

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?
I am so fortunate to have a 15’x16’ bonus room in my home that my kids used for years when they were home. Four years ago I turned it into a craft room. I still do scrapbooking for my grandchildren and occasionally bring out the jewelry making supplies. I meet with a group of women here on a monthly basis to do cards … we call ourselves Crop Circles.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products? I spent 8 years in outside sales for Georgia-Pacific Corporation’s Fine Paper Division, so I love all beautiful papers. My favorites are BoBunny, and Jilly Bean Soup and Stampin Up papers.

Not really. I like putting yummy papers and colors together to make the base of the card, then add an appropriate sentiment. I am a photographer, so sometimes use my photos as well.

Are there colors you love to include on your cards? I am such a beach bum. I have three rooms in my house decorated in sea greens, cornflower, azure blues and purples. The other combinations I like are the Kraft card stocks with red and black and yellow with black. I like deep contrasts as well.

How did you hear about Operation Write Home? The son of a friend of mine shipped to Iraq in 2009. She and I scrapbooked together and she heard about Operation Write Home. Now we make cards for our heroes once a month at my house with a bunch of other women. We call ourselves Crop Circles.

What motivates you to make cards for our heroes? I love being able to help families keep in touch with each other. My husband is a Viet Nam Vet. The war was unpopular in this country and coming home was very difficult for him. I want our military to know how much their sacrifice means to me personally and that they are not forgotten.

Donna Hanley  – (April 6, 2012 at 3:41 AM)

Marlene, Wonderful cards of diverse cards. Thank you for our inspiration this week.

sherry varga  – (April 6, 2012 at 5:06 AM)

Marlene, Your cards are gorgeous. I love the "crack me up" card. How darling! Thanks for sharing with us!

Linda  – (April 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM)

Great cards! Love the idea of a monthly card group. Keep up the great work!

Jen  – (April 6, 2012 at 5:31 AM)

Marlene, great cards! Your crop circles group sounds like fun!

SusanS  – (April 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM)

Great cards! I laughed out loud when I saw the crack me up card !! Thank you for sharing and congrats on being today's featured card maker.

Ann  – (April 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM)

Great cards! The "you crack me up" one, did. :) I love the house stamped on patterned paper. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

Lee Mae  – (April 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM)

Marlene, your cards are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Paula S.  – (April 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM)

I just love the paper piecing on the first card with the new OWH Hero Arts set Marlene. I typically don't do well with paper piecing but you've inspired me to give it a try with this set. Thanks for letting me share some of your cards with everyone this week and for all you do for OWH!

Margaret  – (April 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM)

Thanks for sharing your talents with us. I really like the music one and the Christmas card.

Sherry Hickey  – (April 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM)

Gorgeous cards, Marlene; your love of beautiful DPs shows through! Thanks for the inspiration.

Aundria B.  – (April 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM)

Such nice cards - your crop circle sounds like a lot of fun! Thank you for sharing these colorful beauties and for all you do for OWH

Desert Rose Stamper  – (April 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM)

Marlene, All of your cards are great -- I really like all of your DP choices. I think your Christmas card is my favorite although the "crack me up" did put a big smile on my face. I feel like you do about wanting our military to know how much their sacrifice means to me too -- as my husband is a Viet Nam Vet and he has been dealing with the hidden wounds of that war for many years. Thank you for serving on the OWH Board and the support you and your crop circle give to our military.

Lucy  – (April 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM)

These are all wonderful cards, Marlene. I love the name of your group! I like to let the papers speak to me, too. I love your CAS style and definitely had to crack a smile at your "you crack me up" card. Nicely done!!