Tuesday Tutorial: Watch Your Backs!

This weeks' tutorial is a brief overview and gentle reminder to all of us to watch our backs...of those cards... that is! It saves our shippers so much precious time and effort when cards arrive at their doors, completed and ready to go out to our heroes! What can we do to make life easier for them? One of the things that can and should be done to every card is stamping the backs with the Operation Write Home logo. . .

If you haven't already done so, go here to request your very own free stamp!
I bought a small acrylic block and mounted my stamp to it permanently, because I use it so frequently, it wasn't worth mounting over and over again. On the same page, you can also find links to the self-inking OWH stamps and official OWH stamp set from Stamper's Best. Oooh, I must have a self-inking stamp some day!

But...what do you do if you do not yet have an OWH stamp?
In the past, I have written "Operation Write Home . Org" on the backs of my cards. I did so on this card because of the dark base. There is a liner inside the card for the hero to write on, but stamping in black on the back of this card was not an option. If you ever do this, don't forget to write the whole name, not just "OWH." Want another idea?

In the past, I have also printed a page of the labels available HERE onto some sticky-back paper (think address labels...) for sticking to the backs of cards... especially the dark ones.

Lastly, it is perfectly fine to sign your own name on the backs of the cards that you make. The lady who made the card above, also added her home town, which I think is fun. I usually just initial mine. It is also okay to add your own "Made by _______." stamp on the backs of the cards.

Don't forget to indicate on your packing slips that you have double-checked all of the cards for the stamps on the backs! Your shippers will love you!

Please do avoid the following:
  • Ink that bleeds through the card base, ruining the inside of the card. Try using less or lighter ink. This could also be an indicator that the cardstock you are using for a base is too thin!
  • Back fat! Once, I recieved a beautiful donated card with all of the following on the back - a "Handmade by..." stamp with a beautiful signature, complete address and website for the creator, along with an American flag hologram sticker, an angel stamp, and a little "support the troops" ribbon sticker... although it was very beautiful, I found it hard to find a place for the OWH logo and found that all of the rest of the decoration kind of detracted from where the card actually came from.
Thanks for reviewing this refresher course . . . I know that a lot of our card makers are dilligent about the backs of their cards, but if this post can keep some of our cards out of the card hospital, that would be great! Please "Like" , "Share", "Tweet" and 1+ this post to all new friends just getting started with us so that they can watch their backs too!

MerryBlissmas  – (March 13, 2012 at 4:02 AM)

Thanks for the information. I am new to cardcrafting and OWH. Glad to know the extra information :)

Jan Hunnicutt  – (March 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM)

Great tutorial and reminder Nancy! I run my white cardstock through the printer with my info and a nice big full color OWH "digital stamp", cut it in half and have two card bases ready to go. I'm lazy and like having it all done for me :)

Operation Write Home  – (March 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM)

Super tips Nancy!! People can also get their own custom stamp made at their local store - I use my custom one :)

Paula S.  – (March 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM)

I pre-stamp card bases once or twice a month. You can do it while watching tv or chatting on the phone and it makes it easy when creating time comes to just grab a base from my prepped box.

cindyann  – (March 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM)

I ordered a personalized Operation Write Home stamp when I started making cards. It has the logo, name, and my personal name. Love it!

Maxam Made  – (March 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM)

With my dark card stocks, I just use white or a light colored pigment in along with my OWH stamp.
It looks great, I just give it a little extra time to dry.
Ginny

adele holcomb  – (March 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM)

Jan, I do the same thing! I have Word templates set up to print horizontal or vertical card backs, then all I have to do is print on cardstock, cut in half, and go! Not only am I lazy, I am also not very adept at getting a crisp, straight image from my OWH stamp each time. This way is always clean and neat. I'd be happy to share the Word templates with anyone who wants one -- e-mail me at adele_h@yahoo.com.

Adele  – (March 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM)

I just love Adele's template offer, and am going to take her up on it. I currently use stamps, but pre-printed cardstock sounds so much better and more efficient. Yay Adele & Jan! Maybe this is something that should be available on the OWH web site.

Yvonne B.  – (March 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM)

These are great tips. I actually received an email from one of our Heroes because I had my email address on the backs of my cards. The OWH stamp is really good quality--deeply etched rubber, so it makes for a very nice stamp on the back. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Just A Pac Rat  – (March 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM)

I print out labels for the backs of my cards, as I use premade cards from Hobby Lobby. I stock up when they are on sale, fold the all in half and add the label, so they are ready to create on at any time.

Just A Pac Rat