Featured Cardmaker: Jen. M., Marshfield, WI

Hello everyone! I've got some great inspiration to get your crafty weekend started. Let me introduce you to our featured card maker Jen, who is a regular on the OWH Facebook page and participates in many of the challenges and events here on the Stars & Stamps blog. It's my pleasure to be able to share some of her cards here with with you today. Jen blogs over at The Sparkle Within where you can see more of her wonderful work. So head on over and pay a visit or leave her a comment her at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping? Five years, I think... when my oldest was little, our local Hallmark store closed. I figured I'd buy a few stamps and some paper and make the cards I needed, and it'd probably be cheaper anyhow... famous last words! Ha! :) It's only in the past year or so that I've been much more actively honing my crafting skills and blogging frequently. Participating in the challenges and tutorials here at Stars & Stamps has really helped me improve.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft? Yes, I am lucky enough to have an office/craft space that is mostly craft space. It's pretty small, but it's mine!

What are your favorite stamp/craft products? I love, love, love Unity stamps, and I adore paper by My Minds Eye and Basic Grey. I use a lot of twine from the Twinery on my cards, and you'll have to pry my ATG gun, Tonic 12" guillotine cutter, and my Cuttlebug out of my cold, dead hands someday. Oh, and I've discovered Tim Holtz distress inks are pretty fun. Did I tell you I love Unity stamps?

Do you have a favorite technique? Not really. I emboss a lot with my Cuttlebug and I paper piece stamps rather than color them, but everything else tends to go in phases. I am rather obsessive about making my own glue dots, but I'm not sure that's a technique!

Are there colors you love to include on your cards? Color? Yes, please. ;) You won't see a lot of pastels from me; I go for richer hues. And as Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear on TLC would say, "it doesn't have to match, it just has to 'go' together." I'm not a matchy-matchy kind of girl.

How did you hear about Operation Write Home? A crafty friend on a message board completely unrelated to crafting told me about OWH back when it was Cards for Heroes. The rest, as they say, is history.

What motivates you to make cards for our heroes? My dad did two tours in Vietnam. He never, ever talks about the war. What he does say is that no matter what your political leanings and what you think of our country's actions, we MUST support the troops. Our servicemen and women are just doing their jobs and trying to stay safe to come back home to their families alive. We owe an enormous debt to all of the men and women that have given their lives for our freedoms. However many cards I make, it never quite feels like enough.

Donna Hanley  – (March 2, 2012 at 3:41 AM)

Jen, Thanks for being our sample maker this week. I always enjoy seeing your card and love visiting your blog. As usual, the cards you showcased here today,are super nice cards. Love you work all the time.

Linda  – (March 2, 2012 at 5:29 AM)

Jen...Great set of cards! I always check out your cards on the challenges! Thanks for sharing!

Sara –   – (March 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM)

I have had the pleasure of working with Jen on cards many times...she is always full of fantastic ideas and great techniques...and her passion for crafting is contagious! She has gotten me totally hooked!!!

Anonymous –   – (March 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM)

Thanks for sharing your cards. I liked all of them! pat K.

eponinekc  – (March 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM)

Love your style! Great color combinations and wonderful detail. Thank you for supporting OWH!

Paula S.  – (March 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM)

Great cards Jen! I just love the bright floral (that orange and white twine is so perfect with it) and the Toilet Paper image and sentiment combo elicits a big grin too. Thanks for letting me share your cards here today and more importantly for sharing your very touching thoughts on what motivates you to make cards for OWH.

sherry varga  – (March 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM)

Love your cards, thanks for sharing.
Each one is so unique and beautiful!

Lee Mae  – (March 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM)

Jen, I love the range in your work from cute to elegant to punny! Love every one. Thanks for sharing your cards with us.

Cindy's Card Co  – (March 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM)

Love your cards! It's nice to see another Wisconsinite featured! We need to unite all the Wisconsinites one day.

Carol L  – (March 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM)

It's great to see you featured this week Jen, because I'm a frequent visitor to your blog! Congrats, and thanks for all you do to get those great cards into the hands of our serving armed forces! WTG!

Desert Rose Stamper  – (March 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM)

Jen, I always love to see your cards. You give me such inspiration -- Congrats on being this weeks sample card maker. You go girl!

Chris  – (March 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM)

Thank you for your contributions, and your comments. Blessings

Ellen  – (March 3, 2012 at 6:41 AM)

Congrats Jen! I love your cards and your style! Thanks for sharing.
hugs,
Ellen

HomeschoolHomestead  – (March 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM)

These cards so nice. I have loved seeing your cards on your blog.

Paper Therapy Ponderings  – (March 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM)

wonderful cards made by a fellow cheesehead

thanks for supporting OWH

Barb Housner

Kathy V.  – (March 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM)

Great cards Jen. I especially like your Embrace Life. It's simple but elegant at the same time. And I love your reason for participating in OWH. Thanks for the inspiration.

Father Good Nuf –   – (March 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM)

Way to go, daughter! I am really proud of you. I am sure that your cards have put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces. Keep up the great work. Luv U, Dad.