Featured Cardmaker, Kristie M., Puyallup, WA

Happy Friday everyone! I'm delighted to introduce everyone to Kristie this week. I have a great group of her cards to share with you but before I do that I want to remind everyone that the deadline for the Mother's Day Challenge is fast approaching. The challenge cards need to be in your shipper's hands by March 20th to be entered in the prize drawing. Now onward to the inspiration! Kristie does not have a blog but you can of course leave her some love in the comments section at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping? I started scrapbooking a little over 15 years ago, and that is when I first started to use stamps. But when I was pregnant with my first child, he is 9 years old now, I decided to make my own baby announcements. I really enjoyed making the cards and I haven't stopped.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft? I have always had a space set aside for crafting. In our current house, I used to have the entire 3rd bedroom all to myself with custom cabinets installed. However, 2 years ago, when my daughter was born, I lost my space and was crammed into the corner of our family room. It wasn't working out well, so last year we converted our garage to the family room. Now the former family room has been painted my favorite color combination, pink and brown, and is home to my crafty supplies. Although, a corner of it is set aside as my daughter's playroom. However, if she sees her mama crafting, she insists on sitting on my lap to "help".

What are your favorite stamp/craft products? I have a very strong addiction to patterned paper, but recently have been purchasing more of the mini 6 X 6 paper pads. I enjoy having a variety of coordinating papers all together in one handy pad. I also love to use the Spellbinders Nestabilities.

Do you have a favorite technique? I really love to use the dry embossing plates to add texture to my cards. And I am also a huge fan of adding a bit of ribbon to finish it off. (Which makes it hard for me to make masculine cards.)

Are there colors you love to include on your cards? Pink is always my favorite color to use. But I also really love to use the autumn hues. I do try to challenge myself to use colors out of my comfort zone. Lately, I've also been using black for layering my cards to add that little extra something.

How did you hear about Operation Write Home? When I really started making cards, I felt the need to use the entire piece of patterned paper, so I would end up with a dozen or more of the same card. Since I continued to make cards and was only giving a small amount away, I ended up with boxes and boxes of cards sitting under my bed. One day I was reading on a scrapbook blog (can't recall which one) that mentioned giving cards to Operation Write Home. So I went to the website and learned how I could help out with my cards. Last year was the first year I started making cards for OWH.

What motivates you to make cards for our heroes? In a day of electronic communication, I believe having a physical card in your hands with writing from your loved one is irreplaceable. Our heroes and their loved ones deserve the best. They sacrifice so much for all of us everyday. This is one way I can help show my support and love to them.

Jen  – (February 24, 2012 at 4:01 AM)

Fabulous cards, kristie! The last two are my favorites!

Linda  – (February 24, 2012 at 5:07 AM)

Each of those sample cards is wonderful...great lo and paper mixes. I also love pattern paper. The last is my fav because of the muted plaid! Thanks for your support!

Ronni  – (February 24, 2012 at 6:34 AM)

Kristie - I love your cards - the giraffe was my favorite until I saw the monkeys - they are adorable - AND I completely admire anyone who can do crafting with a 2 year old! Great job!

Paula S.  – (February 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM)

This is such a great group of cards Kristie! You really have a knack for combining papers and looking at these it's really obvious that the layering truly polishes off the look of a card. I'd be hard pressed to choose one favorite but the pink and black love and the animal print giraffe would be at the top of my list. Thanks for letting me share you OWH story and these fabulous cards with everyone this week!

sherry varga  – (February 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM)

Love your card Kristie, I love the giraffes. I seem to stuck on flowers and I love to see some cards that don't have flowers on them! Great job.

Dixie Cochran  – (February 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM)

Kristie, your cards are delightful! What a terrific collection you have here...something for everyone!

Lee Mae  – (February 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM)

Kristie, your cards are wonderful! I love the way you use papers. Love the giraffe card.

Anonymous –   – (February 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM)

Thanks for sharing your cards. I loved your layouts and pattern combos. Thinsk i will have to CASE the giraffe!! Pat K.

Sarah  – (February 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM)

Gorgeous cards! I love how you make the DSP really look amazing!

Lisa Oliver  – (February 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM)

Great cards Kristie! I love all of your sample cards - our styles are very similar. I agree with Paula, the layering makes all the difference. Keep up the great work and thanks for all you do for OWH!

Sherry Hickey  – (February 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM)

Well done, Kristie! It was a lucky day for our heroes when you found OWH! So nice to "meet" you and I'm with you on lovin' those 6x6 DP pads! I'm hooked.

CARO  – (February 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM)

I like 'em all but just love the animal print giraffe card! Really great cards for all occasions.

Anonymous –   – (February 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM)

Kristie, your cards are beautiful. I have a sister-in-law that lives in Puyallup, Wa. Mary L Schreiber

Carol L  – (February 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM)

Wow Kristie, your cards blow me away!! Such wonderful design in each and every one, but I absolutely love the animal print with the giraffes!! WTG!!

SusanS  – (February 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM)

Your cards are great! I join the crowd on the giraffe card - it is unique. Nice variety of styles and colors. Super job!

Lee Ann  – (February 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM)

Wonderful cards, Kristie! Love that "monkey" paper you used- definitely my fave! Thanks for Sharing!

Donna W.  – (February 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM)

Love your cards - especially the safari pattern mix with the tie. I love ribbons and ropes and twines too and I agree with you about the 6x6 pads. They're addictive too!

Jamie  – (February 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM)

Amazing as always! So proud of you sis! Your work is just beautiful.