>> Saturday, January 21, 2012 – vlog
Hi everybody! Fortunately I did get power back - so I'm back to normal temperatures :)
Charity Wings voting link - http://tinyurl.com/7xmwsjo
And a little more about the low card count for this month:
I do know that I had said a while back that we may be facing less contacts, since those serving in Iraq were scheduled to come home. My direction was to scale back a little - mostly those who set giant goals to make thousands, ease up a little and focus on quality cards and not only quantity. Our expectation was that we'd have fewer contacts, however, nobody was more surprised than me that we have more contacts on our list right now than we did last January. Who'd a thunk it? Our waiting list stands at 18, some waiting since mid-December; we typically cover them within at least a month of signup date, and always try for 2 weeks, but haven't been able to this year.
Through November and December, there was a small drop in cards, which was expected, and totally fine - but usually things start to pick up up more in January when the holidays wear off. Not so this year! I checked just this morning and we're at 9,633 cards as of today...which is a fraction of what normally would be coming in - to compare, last January saw 39,665 cards!
The "goals" posted on our homepage each month are roughly based on the last year as well as current info on contacts on our list...I thought 34,000 seemed like a low, reasonable goal, but it's proving to be out of our reach for this month. We always feel like we're not getting enough in January, but that's often because we have extra heroes on our list who signed up during the holidays, and by March or so things even out a bit. So some of this is expected, but not at this level. Typically December through February we stretch the time between restocking units to 7-8 weeks rather than the usual 5-6.
What's the reason for the slowdown? It could be a number of things, here are some things I'm thinking it might be:
- A lot of folks took my fall email to mean they can stop making cards entirely, or slow down to 2 shipments a year from their normal 6. I had hoped they'd slow down by maybe 10-20%, not quite that drastic of a cut!
- Some people think all wars are over and all troops are home. They didn't catch the part that we're still fighting in Afghanistan....though the loss of six Marines should hopefully catch their attention.
- The economy is still hurting us! Ack! I can't wait til things are back on track.
- Santa didn't provide enough inspiring goodies in our stockings?
- The eggnog hangover hasn't worn off yet.
So what does OWH do now? Here's the plan:
- First, we'll be stretching the time between restocking each of our units a little further. It could be 8-10 weeks until we get back on track.
- Second, we're reaching out to more new cardmakers. CHA will be great exposure to get us in front of a lot of folks who don't know us yet. And PTI's podcast will feature OWH this weekend, and that should help too!
- Third, let's all get the word out to our crafty friends! Be sure to post on your blog about our heroes' needs. Make sure that folks know we're still in operation.
And a final PS: As of next weekend, I'm gone to CHA for a week, and then for another week on the cruise - but my mail is being taken care of by my housesitter. Kris will be on the cruise, and her hubby is bringing in the mail. NEITHER of us will be doing reports and recording packages, so please don't expect a receipt or email acknowledgement til we get back and our feet are under us again, and that could take til Feb 18th or so. We'll have one giant Thankful Thursday and Mailroom Monday report when all the data is in.
Caro is around and will be continuing shipping as normal - and she and our board will be keeping an eye on you ladies on Facebook! Ha! Our blog team will be all over the S&S blog, too, so no shenanigans, ya hear? *grin*
Got more questions? Leave them in a comment and I'll answer as I can!