Tuesday Tutorial - Looking Back, Looking Forward

It's that time of year when we look back and take stock and look forward and make plans, and with that in mind Sandy recently encouraged the blog admin group to think about how to keep things fresh. After thinking about it, I realized I've been organizing the weekly tutorials almost two years, and it might be good to get some fresh energy in this spot. So beginning next week our new tutorial "wrangler" will be Nancy of Scrap Happens! fame. Nancy creates great tutorials, and I'm really excited to see what she has in store for all of us.

I have loved my time in the Tuesday Tut position. How often do you get a chance to combine your professional experience with your favorite hobby and a fantastic group of people working for a cause you love? So, before I yammer much further, I want to say thanks to Sandy and all of you for the opportunity. It's been my privilege.

So, we had the impromptu blog hop this weekend where people picked their favorite cards, and I though I'd carry on the theme in today's post and link to some of my favorite tutorials from the past couple of years.

You know how great it feels to see the pics of our Heroes holding up the cards they're going to write home to their families. Some of you know how great it feels to realize they're holding up a card you made. That's how I feel when I see a Hero holding a card featuring a technique from a recent tutorial. Check out this pic. The Hero on the end is holding Necktie cards.

I feel just as pumped when you guys post pics of cards you've made featuring the tutorial techniues. So, which tutorial led to more uploaded photos than any other? Say it with me.... Pinwheels! (which we actually called Pinwheel II because there are three kinds.) I doubt there are more than a handful of people who read the blog who haven't made a pinwheel card, because they're so easy and cute and are a great use of scraps. Here's a pic shared on FB by Yolanda.

More often than not, I've had to learn or figure out how to do a technique so I could then turn around and post a tutorial on it. The thing I'm happiest to have learned for my own cardmaking benefit is probably the easiest technique we've featured, and that is the Bow tying - Fork Method. I am bow-challenged, and sometimes you just want to have a cute bow.

Sometimes I have gotten to share my own favorite techniques. I've been proud that we feature 101 level tutorials right alongside the more advanced techniques, and the Masking 101 tutorial features one of my favorite cards I've ever made.

And probably my favorite techniqe ever, featuring my first ever video (which was what gave Sandy the idea to offer me the gig in the first place), was the Dahlia Fold tutorial.

I've been so glad to have help from many of you who have volunteered to share tutorials of your own. There are some I've actually not gotten around to doing yet, but really want to. One of those is the Shaving Cream technique. I bought shaving cream and everything. I just haven't done it yet. I'm afraid my cats might try to help me!

Another technique I've done a little of, but really want to play with more is Paper Punch People. Not just people. I've been wanting to try to make a lot of things with punches. One day I was at a stop light behind a jeep and I caught myself thinking about it in terms of circles and corner-rounded rectangles.

And last, but definitely not least, I really want to improve my Basic Coloring. I think Sandy and I are opposite-twins when it comes to cardmaking. She's always saying she struggles with CAS and heat embossing, and that's what I totally rock at. I, on the other hand, can't color my way out of a wet paper bag. I am resolving to improve my coloring skills in 2012.

So, what have been your favorite tutorials and what have you been meaning to try but just haven't yet? I'm putting up an inlinkz. The list of past tutorials is on the Cardmaking Resources page. Try something new and link on the inlinkz below.

I'm not going anywhere. I'll still be helping behind-the-scenes and you can still write me at kate@operationwritehome.org. Thanks again for putting up with me on Tuesdays for so long. Do me a favor, and give Nancy a great welcome, and I'd especially love it if you'd write her at nancy@operationwritehome.org and tell her what you'd like to see a tutorial on, or better yet, volunteer to do one for her.

You guys are awesome!

-Kate

Linda  – (January 3, 2012 at 4:50 AM)

Thanks for doing such a great job!

Nancy Keller  – (January 3, 2012 at 5:53 AM)

Yay Kate! I love the compilation! Thanks for the welcome and the great post! This year will be so much fun!

Ann  – (January 3, 2012 at 6:19 AM)

Kate, thank you for all your hard work. I have loved the Tues tutorials and your card making glossary and resources have been invaluable! Enjoy the extra time you have!

Marlene Diefendorf  – (January 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM)

Thanks Kate, your tutorials have been a source of inspiration and I've looked forward to them. I've even been brave enough to try a few and surprise... they weren't as hard as they looked. Alsways a bonus!

Carol L  – (January 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM)

Kate, thanks for all you've done for OWH and all of us in the past 2 years, and I hope you can now find some extra time to relax and enjoy yourself! You've put a LOT of hard work and effort into these tutorials and you certainly deserve a break! I've tried many of the techniques, and I look forward to trying some new ones as Nancy takes over for you. Best wishes and (Hugs), and a big welcome to Nancy too!

Sherry Hickey  – (January 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM)

Thanks, Kate, for presenting so many fun tutorials. They have really helped me improve as a cardmaker! Thanks for the time & effort you have put into this.

One Scrappy Gal  – (January 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM)

Kate, I really appreciate your tutorials. I love to try new techniques. Sometimes they become a staple in my repertoire and sometimes I find that it isn't for me. Either way, it's good to know. Thanks for your time in putting them together.

Paula S.  – (January 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM)

This is a great compilation and a nice reminder that these Tutorials "live on" as a permanent resource for all of us. While I have not managed to try all the tutorials I read and looked forward to each and every one, often times trying them at a much later date and not bothering to photograph or link them up. Thanks for all your time, effort and dedication over the past 2 years as the official OWH "Tutorial Wrangler"!

Deborah R  – (January 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM)

Kate, thanks for all the wonderful tips and tricks with great tutorials on how to do so many wonderful things! Thank you also for posting the picture of the necktie cards! Two in the picture are both ones that I made! What an awesome feeling to be able to see them in the hands of our troops! Thanks again for all the time you have put in on enriching our card making skills!

Dixie Cochran  – (January 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM)

Kate, you have done a terrific job with the tutorials, and I appreciate all you do for OWH!! This was a wonderful post! Great fun to look back. Thank you!

Seongsook Duncan  – (January 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM)

Kate, thanks for all what you have been doing with the tutorials for OWHers. It was great to be a part of it. Wishing you all the best and Happy New Year!

Aundria B.  – (January 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM)

As someone that's fairly new to a lot of this I've so appreciated these tutorials these last couple of months. And to find out that there's a dedicated page for them - WOW! I feel like a kid in a candy store! I love to learn and want to make great cards for our heroes and I feel so supported knowing all these resources, including other OWHers, are right at my fingertips. I don't have to just struggle all by myself anymore and that's encouraging to me. Thank you for all of your hard work, Kate!

Shaik  – (January 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM)

Good job kate! This is a great tutorial with so many wonderful things, I absolutely love your article.

Business Templates

Sherrie  – (January 4, 2012 at 5:01 AM)

I'm a fairly new following and I really look forward to 2012 and making more cards! I love all tutorials but especially the ones that help make beautiful use of scraps. Seems I always have those laying around and it just kills me to throw them out. Keep up the great work! Thanks for all you do to provide us with inspiration in our creativity. It is truly appreciated. Happy 2012!!!

Nancy M  – (January 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM)

Thanks for all the work and time you have given to us at OWH. All the tuts are so helpful to have. Enjoy your extra time. See ya 'round.

Yvonne B.  – (January 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM)

Thank you, Kate, for all of the great ideas and help with your tutorials. I've enjoyed learning new techniques and really like knowing that they are compiled here to come back to, which I've done several times over the last year! Again, Thank You!

Marianne  – (January 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM)

Kate,
Thanks sharing so many great tutorials with us. I have learned so much in the time you have done this. Welcome Nancy, I can't wait for what you have in store.

Marianne