Featured Cardmaker: Susan S., Simpsonville, SC

Hello everyone! This week I have the pleasure of introducing you all to Susan and to share a beautiful group of her cards that are sure to inspire some creativity.  Susan does not have a blog (when I ask she said..."not yet" — so we might be able to talk her into starting one :) so please be sure to say hello and leave her your comments here on this post.

How long have you been stamping?
I began scrapbooking about 10 years ago.  My first projects were very simple with paper and few purchased stickers and computer printed journaling.  I taught myself by reading magazines, going to make & take demos, and supplier websites. I incorporated stamping in to scrapbook and card projects about 4 years ago.  My collection of stamps has increased significantly in the past 2 years as my card making projects increased.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?
Yes!!  I am fortunate enough to have a craft room set up in our bonus room, complete with it's own bathroom (very convenient).  It is really funny to remember that I started my scrapbooking interest with a shoebox sized plastic container of scrap papers and a few 12 x 12 printed sheets.  Now I have a room full of paper, embellishments, tools, ribbons, etc.  I could start my own store.  Y'all know what I mean :)

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?
My all time favorite tool is my Craft Robo (like Silhoutte) and Klic N Kut software that I received as a Christmas gift several years ago.  I can create my own embellishments with this tool and software.  I also like to use embossing folders and dies (QuicKutz, Spellbinders) with my Epic Six.  I have the QuicKutz hand tool for quick 2 x 2 dies also. I admit it, I am addicted!

I like to use flowers on many of my projects, but I also enjoy incorporating ribbon, string (twine, hemp or jute), lace, doilies, and buttons.  I enjoy using my sewing machine on paper projects too.  Sometime soon I plan to try using actual fabric pieces on some projects.

The group of cards that I just sent to OWH were made from scraps, large and small, left over from scrapbook projects. I challenged myself to create cards without cutting from any new 12 x 12 sheets and put those scraps to good use! I was pleased with the results.

My most favorite color is pink and like to use that for cards for the ladies.  For the gentlemen, I like to use shades of brown with greens or blues.  For a change, I try various color combinations and sometimes the best ones turn out to be 3 or 4 scraps that fall together in the scrap pile and catch my eye.

I found out about OWH earlier this year on a website link. I was so excited to find a way to share my papercrafting hobby with our military heroes. I set out to make 20 cards to send, but proudly sent my first group of 50+ cards to OWH back in February 2011.

I guess you can say that it's in the family. I was born in a Air Force Base hospital while my father served stateside in the 1950's. Both of my grandfathers served in the Army during WWI. I have an uncle served in the Army and was reported MIA briefly during WWII. My father-in-law served in the Army during WWII. Not only do the heroes sacrifice to keep our country and the world a safer place, their families sacrifice too. It is an honor and a privilege for me to make cards for the heroes to send back home to their loved ones.  I think about the heroes and their loved ones when I create the cards and I put my heart into each card that I make for them. This is a wonderful way for me to utilize my God given creativity for a great purpose!

Donna Hanley  – (October 28, 2011 at 3:17 AM)

Susan, each and evry one of these cards are beautiful with very nice layouts. I don't know that I could pick a favorite, but that first one with the lace is close to being a fav. I will have to CASE that one soon. If I get a vote, I'd vote for you to start your own blog. Why should you keep all this talent to yourself? Please share it with the rest of the crafting world. If you start one, please let me know.

Jen  – (October 28, 2011 at 5:20 AM)

Susan, your cards are amazing!! Thanks for sharing them with us. And do start a blog... Then you can play along in the challenges!!! :)

Anonymous –   – (October 28, 2011 at 5:20 AM)

Hi Susan. It's Nina at Metallix. Your cards are incredible! Hallmark should know of your talents! I think I pick the "You've Hooked Me" card. My parents just arrived from CA last night and my Dad used to fish commerically for a living so it had special meaning to me. You really have an amazing talent!

Ronni  – (October 28, 2011 at 7:51 AM)

Susan - your cards are wonderful! I love the sentiment behind your sentiments! It was a pleasure reading all about you - thanks so much for sharing.

Jan Hunnicutt  – (October 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM)

It's nice to meet you here today Susan, your cards are wonderful! Thanks for sharing your creative talent with us!

Paula S.  – (October 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM)

Great group of cards Susan. I particularly like how you used the doily and the hook. They add such a nice element of unexpected surprise to the cards. Thanks for letting me share your cards and your OWH story with everyone this week!

Rick Holt –   – (October 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM)

Beautiful Susan. Let us know before you go off into your own business so we can at least get one more dinner in at Rick Erwin's!

Linda  – (October 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM)

My favority card is the fish one. I need to get me some of those hooks! I also love the doily on the first one. Keep up the great work! TFS!!!

Lee Mae  – (October 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM)

Hi Susan! Your cards are wonderful! I especially like your Love Notes card. I may have to CASE that idea. I also like the fish card too with the twine and hook. I also like how the images are lined up on the left with the sentiment square to balance the design. Hmmm, I may have to CASE that design idea too! Please start a blog so we see more of your work in the challenges!

rcwidow (Linda)  – (October 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM)

Love your cards! The first one got me to stop at the blog and take a look at all of them! very inspiring.

Sandy  – (October 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM)

Wow gorgeous cards Susan!! Thanks for sharing them with our heroes ;) :) :)

Paper Therapy Ponderings  – (October 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM)

great job on your cards - I like the hooked one

Barb Housner

adele holcomb  – (October 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM)

Unique and lovely cards, Susan! I love that the styles are all completely different -- you are a multi-talented lady!

Carol L  – (October 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM)

You have a knack for using up those scraps to make pretty cards! I love how you added the doily to the first card! Keep up the great work, and TFS!

HomeschoolHomestead  – (October 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM)

Thank you for sharing. I really like all the cards. I like the love notes and fishing one best.

Anonymous –   – (October 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM)

Wonderful cards. Great variety! Love the way the very colorful "Hi" grabbed my attention.

Keep up the good work. Pat K.

Sherry Hickey  – (October 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM)

Hi Susan, I really enjoyed studying each & every one of your wonderful cards. The first one with the cool colors and gorgeous lace is amazing. Fun to read about your studio and how it all started with a "shoebox sized container" of supplies. I think that's something we can all relate to! I look forward to your blog!!

Dianna –   – (October 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM)

Susan, your cards are really amazing. God gave you such a talent and eye for beauty. I'm not suprised that you are sending cards to our great men and women in the service. God also gave you a loving and giving heart!

meredemaison  – (October 29, 2011 at 4:49 AM)

Susan, your cards are incredible! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with soldiers and their families and friends! You are providing a wonderful service!
(I have to say that I love how you decided to use scraps for your cards, too! What a great way to give new life to those fabulous papers!)

pennyd  – (October 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM)

Susan, your cards are eye catching! I particularly like the one with the "hi" and buttons - very colorful and happy looking! You really should start a blog - you'll wonder why you never did before!

Anonymous –   – (November 1, 2011 at 8:21 AM)

Awesome cards! I have the privilege of working with Susan and can say that she is a very special lady. This is one of many things she does to make the world a better place.

Virginia Littlefield –   – (November 2, 2011 at 5:52 AM)

Susan - the cards are amazing! I am proud to say that you and I have kept in touch for many many years, and have found a similar "hobby" once all the boys grew up! I love the "love note" card - it's my favorite. You've inspired me, my friend. VA

Anonymous –   – (November 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM)

I always knew Susan was the talented one in the family. Great work Susan, I love all of the cards...