CASE the Cardmaker: Bev T., San Francisco, CA

This week I have the pleasure of introducing you all to Bev from San Francisco. Bev does not have a blog, but posts to some of the challenges via a Flickr account. Her Flickr screen name is sf_crafter so be on the lookout for Bev's beautiful cards and don't forget to leave her some love here at the end of this post too. You can CASE one of her creations too, and share your link using InLinkz at the end of the post.

How long have you been stamping?
I’ve been stamping on and off for at least twenty-five years.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?
Yes, I do have a craft room. My crafting area use to be in the basement, where I shared space with our exercise machines. When our kids moved out, we converted one of the bedrooms into a craft room.  I love being able to leave my works-in-progress out.  However, most of my stamping supplies are still in the basement, 2 floors down.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?
Red rubber stamps, pigment and dye stamp pads.

I don’t really like to color in images, so I have a few ways to get around it.  When I do need to color an image, I like to use a reverse masking technique (kind of like stenciling) with pigment inks. Almost all of my coloring of images is done using this technique.  I really like the results I get  and it makes doing multiples quick and easy. Another couple of ways I like to use to get around coloring is to use solid stamps, or to stamp on patterned paper and paper piece. I also have a hard time using embellishments and/or patterned papers, so you will see very little of either on my cards.

It would depend on the occasion that I’m making the card for.  I tend to be pretty traditional.  For instance, if it is a Christmas card, I tend to use reds and greens; for girls, pinks and purples.  I do love earth tones, though.

I’m not exactly sure how I heard about Operation Write Home. I think I must have seen it mentioned on one of the blogs that I visited. I had belonged to an on-line rubber stamping club and one of the members had a son serving overseas.  She had mentioned that the service men and women didn’t have a very good selection of cards to use to write home on. She said that if any of us would like to make cards, her son would be willing to distribute them.  This was at the beginning of the Iraq war. I’ve been making cards for military personnel every since.

I have so much admiration for men and women who are willing to put themselves in harm’s way to protect what they believe in.  I hope that the cards I make show them that they are not forgotten and that they are much appreciated.

Jen  – (September 16, 2011 at 5:54 AM)

Your cards are awesome, bev!

Julie  – (September 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM)

Beautiful cards, Bev! I always appreciate the cards you post to our weekly sketch challenge as well! Thanks for all you do for OWH!

Sherry Hickey  – (September 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM)

Bev, so nice to meet you and hear your cardmaking story! Your cards are crisp and beautiful! I'd love to see how you do the "reverse masking" technique you mention! Best wishes!

Donna Hanley  – (September 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM)

Bev, These are all beautiful cards. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think it has to be the Christmas Stocking. What a beautiful job. Thanks so much for sharing your card with us today.

Lee Mae  – (September 16, 2011 at 8:43 AM)

Bev, your cards are beautiful! I love them all, especially the card with the ship. :)

Anonymous –   – (September 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM)

As always, love your creativity and beautiful cards. What a great way to give back to the military personnel for all that do for their country!

Ruby

Ronni  – (September 16, 2011 at 9:09 AM)

Beautiful cards - I love the paper folding technique you use - such intricate work - and beautifully done!

Ronni

Tim  – (September 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM)
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim  – (September 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM)

As someone who has seen these cards in person, they are amazing! Bev's creativity never ceases to amaze me and she continues to outdo herself with every new creation.

Paula S.  – (September 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM)

Thanks for sharing these beautiful cards Bev! I particularly like the clean and simple design of the first one with the leaves but the ship is gorgeous too, with the white sails, its pops out so beautifully from the blue. So much to be inspired by that CASEing you should be easy! :)

Anonymous –   – (September 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM)

Very beautiful cards! I love your attention to detail. I have to use embellishments to cover up boo-boos. If my cards were as neat as yours I wouldn't need them either! Pat K.

Ann  – (September 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM)

Bev, your cards are just beautiful!! I love the CAS style of the first one and the stocking is fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

Ronni  – (September 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM)

Bev - I loved your iris folded cards so so much I decided to try it! I posted my 1st project - this is another area of card making I will totally enjoy!

Tim  – (September 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM)

Here's Bev's flickr page: www.flickr.com/photos/sf_crafter/

Anonymous –   – (September 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM)

Bev would love to see tutorial on your reverse masking. sounds very interesting. wonderful cards

Bev –   – (September 16, 2011 at 10:22 PM)

Thank you all for your kind comments. It's been a lot of fun making cards for a wonderful organization like OWH.

Bev aka sf_crafter

Kathryn  – (September 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM)

Bev, I love the paper folding but have no idea where to start to try to replicate it. If you could do a tutorial, I know many of us would love to give it a try. :) Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Bev –   – (September 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM)

I've always loved iris-folding and have done a tutorial on it, but there's a great site that has a wonderful tutorial and has free patterns.

Here's the link to that site:
www.circleofcrafter.com/irisfolding/index.html