Featured Cardmaker: Lori B., Marietta, GA

Happy Friday everyone! This week I'd like to introduce you all to Lori and to share some of her beautiful cards with you. Lori does not have a blog so be sure to leave her some love here at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping?  I have been stamping for about 5-6 years. I have always enjoyed crafts, but had never stamped.  A couple of my co-workers invited me to a card making party/class and I was hooked right away.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?  I have taken over a portion of the unfinished part of our basement. It used to be an exercise room with a card table in it, but now it's the "Card Cave" that happens to have a treadmill in it.  Since it is in the basement I don't have to worry about making a mess.  My favorite thing about my card room is having plenty of room for my creative supervisor to stretch out and keep an eye on me.  Bert, my yellow lab, always shows up about 2 minutes after I turn on the ipod speakers and start making cards.  He is usually asleep in the next 5 minutes.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?  Patterned paper is my favorite and I have way more than I will ever use.  One of the benefits of making cards for OWH is being able to use lots of paper in different ways. I enjoy making cards for themes that would not be appropriate for my family.  For example, I can make cards for small children, even though mine are older.  Unfortunately it gives me justification to buy more paper. I also enjoy heat embossing and adding ribbon to my cards.

Do you have a favorite technique? My favorite technique is something I learned recently, which is a combination of heat embossing and then painting with distressed ink inside the negative areas.  Now I find myself looking for stamps that will work with this technique.  Also, after seeing all the beautiful cards on the OWH website, I recently invested in a Cuttlebug.  I am building my collection of embossing folders and have really enjoyed how easy it is to add dimension to my cards.

Are there colors you love to include on your cards?  My favorite color to make an image pop is black.  After that I tend to lean to greens, blues and browns.  I think I am different than most of the OWH card makers because my nature is to lean toward masculine or neutral cards.  It is a stretch for me to create a pink or yellow girly card.  That is one of the things I like about making cards for OWH.  I can go outside of my comfort zone and try new things that my family or friends may not enjoy, but a deployed hero would appreciate.  Since I have two sons, I try to make a card that would be appropriate for a daughter once in a while.

How did you hear about Operation Write Home?  I heard about OWH on Facebook.  I continue to be impressed with the level of commitment from the people who run Operation Write Home.  They do an excellent job with the website.  They not only keep us informed, but inspired through the use of social media.

What motivates you to make cards for our heroes? Several things motivate me to make cards for heroes. I was born in an Army hospital in Germany while my dad was deployed.  My mom also worked for the Army in Germany, as a civilian. Now my friends and coworkers have children in all branches of the military, along with my son's friends.  This is a constant reminder of how much it means to hear from your loved one that is so far away.  My motivation is also a personal way to give back.  Since I work long hours, it is convenient for me to volunteer on my own schedule.  Most of my free time is spent making OWH cards in the evening or on the weekend. I enjoy making cards so much that I have flooded my family with more cards than they will ever use. Now I know they are being put to good use and appreciated by our heroes. When I am making cards for OWH, I try to think about how it will be for the recipient of the card. The front of the card will be their first impression until they open it and get to read the note from their loved one. I want to make sure that it will be something they will keep and cherish whenever they think about their hero.

Donna Hanley  – (August 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM)

Lori, your cards are beautiful, every one of them. It is great that you favor mascualine cards as I think they are very much needed. These military people have many male relatives and friends at home that need to receive cards. YEA for you. Thanks for sharing your cards with us here today.

Linda  – (August 26, 2011 at 5:05 AM)

Great cards! They pack a lot of visual punch! I think my favorite is the first just because of the colors. Thanks for all you do!

Cindy O  – (August 26, 2011 at 6:58 AM)

Beautiful cards, Lori - especially I like the blue with orange and the blue with yellow. It's inspiring to read your story. Thank you!

Anonymous –   – (August 26, 2011 at 7:11 AM)

So nice to meet you Lori! I enjoyed reading your responses to the questions. (Especially about making little kid cards or daughter cards even though you might not have any of your own. You're getting lots of practice for daughters-in-laws and grandkids you'll have someday. SMILE!) I'm so glad you heard about OWH. Your cards are wonderful and I'm sure appreciated. Sharla V.

Susan  – (August 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM)

Lori,you do beautiful work!

Seongsook Duncan  – (August 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM)

Beautiful cards, Lori! Thanks for the inspiration. I appreciate what you wrote about motivation for making OWH cards. I like to share it with my cardmaker friends. Thanks very much for what you do.

Sheila  – (August 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM)

Your cards are awesome Lori! Thanks for sharing your talent with us. =)

Sheila

Paper Therapy Ponderings  – (August 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM)

Veautiful cards - I have been wanting to try that heat emboss and then color and have a couple stamps to do - time - thanks for sharing your talent with our Heroes.

Barb Housner

Anonymous –   – (August 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM)

I love your cards, Lori...especially the first flower one...the way the embossing looks like an extension of the stems on the flowers...great job...Ardeth, Glendale, AZ

Eydie Gellins –   – (August 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM)

Your cards are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them!

Eydie

Dixie Cochran  – (August 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM)

Lori, I always look forward to getting a box from you! Your cards are always inspiring to me! I know our Heroes love sending your cards back home!

One Scrappy Gal  – (August 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM)

Lori, every one of your cards are just beautiful! That first card - thinking of you is just stunning! I may just have to scraplift some of those ideas!

Christine from FL  – (August 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM)

Lori, beautiful cards. I really like the first flower card.

Helen  – (August 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM)

Lori, Your cards are beautiful and as a mother of an Army Officer, I would like to say "Thank You" for making all these wonderful cards! I know the Heroes really appreciate the work you do!!

Paula S.  – (August 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful cards with everyone this week Lori. The color combination on the first one is just stunning. I just love all the texture and details in it. Fabulous!

Unknown  – (August 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM)

Wow, these are wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing part of yourself with us. Your passion for serving our service people is encouraging! P.S. I was born in a military hospital too! :)

Anonymous –   – (August 27, 2011 at 4:22 AM)

Lori, love your cards & love your style! I'm a newbie so am just beginning to gather together cards worthy of contributing. I can see how cards could quickly accumulate so I was thrilled to find OWH. I can make whatever I'm in the mood for & have a source to send them to.

JO

Nancy Keller  – (August 28, 2011 at 7:50 AM)

Beautful work Lori! Thanks for sharing! I have lots of family in GA, which is very far away from me in Idaho. :) Best wishes to you!

ThePurplePlace  – (August 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM)

Your cards are ALL fantastic and I'm so inspired by all the wonderful colors and designs.

I'm sure they are well received by our troops and well loved by those who receive them at home!!

Just A Pac Rat  – (August 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM)

Beautiful cards Lori! Thanks for sharing them with OWH!

circlebenterprises.com

Ann  – (August 29, 2011 at 8:50 AM)

Thanks for sharing your great cards. I especially like the first one that is blue and orange.

Ann K, Seattle