Featured Cardmaker: Harriet L., Vista, CA

Happy Friday everyone! It's my pleasure to introduce you all to Harriet and to be able to share some of her wonderful cards with you here this week. Harriet does not have a blog so be sure to say hello and leave a comment for her here at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping?
I've been stamping for eight plus years.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?
My kitchen counter! It's an enlarged area, like a center island. Half of my kitchen is for food prep, the other half for art.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?
I am fascinated by the creativity and variety of the paper itself, and that is always where I start. I do love the unlimited availability of fun embellishments and use those extensively. My favorite tool is the border punch, especially since I discovered I can make strips from them to enhance cards in different ways.

I start with the paper of my choice, and design as I go. I rarely know myself what my finished product will look like, which makes it all the more fun.  I decide which tools, special effects, and products will work together well to create a specific mood or "tone."

I use as much variety as possible. Sometimes everything coordinates exactly and features a specific color family. Sometimes I work with opposite colors. Sometimes I'll put different patterns together. I love to "startle the eye" by just a touch of sharply contrasting color, especially those colors which are opposite each other on the color wheel. Often I find interesting color combinations from current fashion trends.

Through a paper crafting magazine advertisement.

None of us can totally comprehend the enormous sacrifices our military personnel and their families make on our behalf. I find it immensely fulfilling to have the opportunity to touch their lives in a supportive and encouraging way. When my Dad served in WWII (before I was born!), he made cards for the GIs to write home on, using his drawing skills. So maybe it's in my blood!

prue –   – (August 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM)

WOW Harriet I especially loved your blue stitched card with white flowers in the top right cornor .....special touches...thanks for sharing

Anonymous –   – (August 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM)

Harriet,

Your cards get more and more beautiful. I am so proud of you for doing this! What a blessing it is for our troops to receive one of your cards. Hugs, Pam

Anonymous –   – (August 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM)

Your cards are beautiful. And thank you for sharing your story about your Dad. I think it's not only in your blood, but in your heart too. Pat K.

Anonymous –   – (August 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM)

Harriet,
You glorify the Lord with your talent! May He bless you for your willingness to share with our troops.
HVR

Jim  – (August 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM)

I'm proud of you! I appreciate your eye for art and your heart for people. Those two things come together in such a cool way with these cas for OWH. (And it's an honor to share the kitchen with your studio!)
Love you! Jim

Anonymous –   – (August 12, 2011 at 11:19 AM)

Harriet,
I love your cards!! I feel as though every card has a story behind it. My nephew is serving in the military, and I know how much Gl loves hearing back from him. Amazing ministry to be involved in. God Bless you Harriet!!!! Ronda

Anonymous –   – (August 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM)

Harriet,
Awesome cards! Keep up the good work. Blessings, as you serve our men and women in uniform in such a practical way. Thanks for sharing your gifts and talents with others. Carolyn

Jen  – (August 12, 2011 at 2:15 PM)

Gorgeous cards! What a neat story about your dad! ;)

Paula S.  – (August 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM)

Beautiful cards Harriet! You've inspired me to try to include more cards without sentiments in my OWH boxes. Great use of ribbons and borders in everyone of these. It makes me smile to think that using your creative talents on behalf of our military is in your DNA. Your Dad would be so proud!! Thanks for sharing your OWH story with everyone this week.

One Scrappy Gal  – (August 12, 2011 at 3:22 PM)

You make beautiful cards. I especially like the blue and white one and the brown and peach one. Isn't it great that you can carry on the tradition your Dad started! God bless you.

Deborah R  – (August 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM)

Harriet,
What beautiful cards!! You are so creative. I loved the story about your dad! So awesome! What a wonderful use of the talents you have been given. I know that those at home love getting cards (I have a sister and many other friends with husbands who are currently serving). Thank you!

Joy B. –   – (August 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM)

Wow! This is so YOU! Thank you for sharing this with me - and the rest of the world, my dear friend! What a great ministry and blessing your cards must be to our "Country's FINEST" who fight daily for our freedom! God bless you (and Jim, too!). I love you both!
Your long-lost pal,
Joy

ThePurplePlace  – (August 13, 2011 at 7:07 AM)

Such lovely cards! I'll bet that whenever these are received they get RAVE reviews!!

Thank for sharing you wonderful talent!!

Lis

Sherry Hickey  – (August 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM)

Beautiful cards, Harriet; thank you for the inspiration. I loved hearing that you carrying on your Dad's tradition of service with you own unique talents.

Anonymous –   – (August 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM)

Harriet, Wow! You are so talented. This seems to be a perfect outlet for your generational gift of creativity! Thank you for sharing this well received gift with so many of the country's soldiers. This ministry keeps on blessing everyone involved. I am blessed to know you! Love Terryll

Julie  – (August 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM)

Beautiful cards, Harriet! I especially love that black and white one :) Thanks for all you do for Operation Write Home.

coco –   – (August 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM)

Hi Harriet! Your cards are so very sweet and pretty. Your enjoyment and caring really shows!
Keep up your great work.

SuzAnn –   – (August 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM)

Harriet, (love your name; I have an Aunt Harriet and don't see the name too often)Anyway, your cards are beautiful! I especially love the black and white one and how you've used the border punch. Thanks for caring on the tradition and being part of OWH. We're lucky to have you with us!

Anonymous –   – (August 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM)

Wow Auntie Harriet!! I know your gifts are received with awe by both those who write home on them & their ultimate recipient. I'm always blown away whenever I received one for special occasions over the years. I try to keep every card you sent me; they're all so special! How neat that you share your talents with those who serve our country as well, what a blessing it is to have you as an Aunt. :]
Love Alwayz, Jessica <3