Featured Cardmaker: Mardee S., San Francisco, CA

Happy Independence Day weekend everyone! It's my pleasure to introduce you to Mardee this week. I know you will be as inspired as I am by her colorful, fun cards. Mardee doesn't have a blog so be sure to say hello and leave her some love in the comments section at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping?
I have been stamping for over 10 years. That's when one of our daughters became a Stampin' Up demonstrator.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?
With respect to where I stamp, let me say that I have a desk to work on but more often than not, before it's over with, I'll have projects laid out on any flat surface I can find in the house. I initially lay out a project on large cardboard panels so that I can move a whole project at once when a particular flat surface needs to be used for something else like eating or sitting or sleeping for example. My husband is a prince.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?
Almost all of my stamps and products come from Stampin' Up (our daughter is still a demonstrator). I do confess a weakness for background papers however and love, love, love the little six inch pads of the stuff. Just the right size and amount for card making. And all coordinated. Yay! I have always liked stickers but never used them on cards (only on envelopes) until the last batch of juvenile birthday cards I sent to you ladies. I was sort of forced into it because I knew you needed juvenile birthday cards but I didn't have a lot of juvenile stamps. I wanted some bright and colorful images that wouldn't take me forever to color in and voila.

With respect to a favorite technique, I am on a dry embossing kick. I love the subtle texture of it. Just a small strip of textured cardstock or an embossed die cut can be just the touch a card needs.

Stampin' Up has four color families and I lean toward the bright and regal families, but I pretty much let the project/season/occasion/recipient determine what colors I work with. Cards for adult males are the most challenging in my book.

I heard about Operation Write Home from our demonstrator daughter last October (2010). One of her stamping ladies suggested that a group get together and make some cards for OWH. I jumped right on that. Even though I couldn't join them, I made about 50 or 60 cards and sent them to her. Then I went on the website and learned more. I was hooked!

There are a lot of reasons I enjoy making cards for OWH. I have three brothers who were in the Marines during Viet Nam and the country did not treat them well upon their return home. I want the men and women who put themselves in harm's way to know that the people back home support them and think about them. Making these cards gives me a creative outlet, allows me to use my stash (like that will ever happen) and hopefully put a smile on somebody's face. Does it get any better than that?

Linda  – (July 1, 2011 at 4:43 AM)

What a wonderful bunch of bright cheery cards! My fav is the blue Happy Birthday! TFS!!!

AmyS  – (July 1, 2011 at 5:01 AM)

Mardee you sound like a wonderful lady. I love your bright and cheerful cards!

Paula S.  – (July 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM)

What a beautiful group of cards! These are fantastic examples of how to use stickers really well... which can so often be hard to do. I for one will refer to this post to help me avoid 'sticker sneeze' when I'm using them. Thanks for sharing your OWH story and creativity with us this week Mardee.

Operation Write Home  – (July 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM)

Love love love getting Mardee's boxes. She doesn't always do stickers, but when she does - wow! My favorite is the choochoo train on the purple mountain!

Thanks Mardee for being an inspiration!

Anonymous –   – (July 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM)

I love your cards!I liked the tran cards best, but I also like your simple, symmetrical layouts. Pat K.

Mary (aka Muffin's Mama)  – (July 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM)

All Mardee's cards are adorable, but I especially love the kitty on the wire. TFS!

Kathy V.  – (July 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM)

What adorable cards! Cards for kids are a challenge for me and I'll be returning to these for inspiration for sure. Can't believe they're all stickers! Your layouts and backgrounds are perfect with them!

Shannon  – (July 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM)

I have stickers I need to use! Thanks for the ideas!

Jeanne J  – (July 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM)

Mardee,
I love all the bright happy colors you use and the fun whimsical themes. I can't help but smile when I look at your creations and that's really what it's all about for me... making people smile.

Donna Hanley  – (July 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM)

Mardee, These are all precious cards. You have a very creative mind. thank you for sharing your cards with us. I can't even pick a favorite one they are all so nice. Have a great weekend.

Bev E  – (July 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM)

I just love your cards! If I had to pick a fav it would have to be the whale on the water. I am so going to CAS these cards. Thanks

Debra  – (July 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM)

Love your cards. What a great use of stickers. I am sure you made a lot of military children very happy.

Carol L  – (July 1, 2011 at 7:59 PM)

I just love all of your whimsical cards! They're sure to delight many young recipients who receive them too! Keep up the great job!

Marianne  – (July 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM)

Mardee,
You do amazing things with stickers. Thank you so much for sharing your cards with us.

SuzAnn –   – (July 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM)

Mardee, your cards are whimsical and so fun! I especially like the car/truck one with it's sense of movement. I bet your cards are big hits with their recipients!! Thanks for being part of OWH.

Ronda S  – (July 2, 2011 at 5:59 AM)

Love all these cards Mardee!! This is such great inspiration to use up a ton of stickers that I have but don't want to go to waste! Thanks for such amazing cards!

Mary Jo  – (July 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM)

I love your cards!! What a great way to use stickers. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Esther  – (July 2, 2011 at 9:42 AM)

Great cards Mardee! I'll look at my old stash of stickers in a bright new way thanks to you.

JoAnn Shive –   – (July 2, 2011 at 3:17 PM)

Hi Mom! This is the first that I got to see most of these cards. They are simply amazing but it doesn't surprise me one bit! I absolutely love all of them. You are talented and amazing! Not too shabby of a mom either. Love you and congratulations!

Just A Pac Rat  – (July 6, 2011 at 8:45 AM)

Very cute cards! TFS