Featured Cardmaker: Laurie J., Houston, TX

Happy Friday everyone! This week I'm delighted to introduce you all to Laurie and to share some of her beautiful cards with you. Laurie isn't actively blogging at this time so be sure to leave a comment for her here at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping?
I am a scrapper first, I don't really stamp.  I've been doing some kind of scrapbook endeavor since I was 10 years old (and that has been 40+ years now).  But in the recent genres, I have been working with paper since 2007, and digital since 2009.  I found OWH in 2009, and my card emphasis started then.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp/craft?
Yes, I have an entire room in my condo devoted to my office/craft room.  It is big enough to house my den/guest room as well.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?
I love working with embossing folders. I like that I can add texture to papers, so that the designs do not seem so flat.

Not really.  I try to keep my cards simple so that the intended message is imparted and not overshadowed by the materials.

All of them??? I like bright colors, so it is sometimes hard for me to do masculine and/or fall cards. The more muted colors don't inspire me as much.

Since 2008 I have been participating in a couple of online chat forums.  Someone mentioned the Memorial Day blog hop in 2009, and I was hooked!

My father is a veteran, as were my first and second husbands.  Now my Son-in-Law is in the Air Force. In fact he is scheduled for deployment to Iraq later this year.

As an Army brat, my father was away so many of my growing up years, and I know how important the letters going home can be to the wellbeing of both the writer and the receiver.  I know that my mom still has all of the letters she received from my dad during the Vietnam conflict.  He wrote her a letter everyday without fail.  Sometimes she would get one a day in the mail, sometimes it would be two or three, depending on how quickly our mail service worked.  But it was her life line to him.

These days with texting and emailing, news and communication can be intantaneous, but having the ability to send a special thought for a birthday, or anniversary is so much more endearing in a card than an email. A card can be treasured, just like the letters my mom keeps to this day. And I hope that someday in this next year, my Son-in-Law has the opportunity to find one of my cards to send home to my daugher.

Donna Hanley  – (July 29, 2011 at 5:45 AM)

Laurie,
Your cards are all so nice. Very bright and cheery which is exactly what the recipients need to brighten their day. Glad you found OWH. We are lucky to have you making your wonderful cards for our military. Thank you for sharing.

Sherry Hickey  – (July 29, 2011 at 6:57 AM)

Beautiful cards, Laurie! Thanks for sharing your work and giving us great inspiration!

Paula S.  – (July 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM)

Great cards Laurie! I particularly like the first set and the way you pieced the paper together. That technique/layout is a wonderful way to use up those scraps I manage to accumulate so fast. I will be CASing that idea for sure! Thanks for sharing your OWH story with everyone this week!

Anonymous –   – (July 29, 2011 at 8:59 AM)

Loved the way you pieced those cards together and made them look soooo good! And thanks for sharing the story of your Mom and the saved letters. I hope one of my cards may be treasured by someone... Pat K.

Jeanne J  – (July 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM)

I love all your bright colors - I know they bring a smile at their destination. I enjoyed reading about you and your motivation for creating. It is wonderful that you share your time and talents!!

airbornewife  – (July 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM)

Wonderful cards Laurie.. thanks for sharing ~ Pam

Anonymous –   – (July 30, 2011 at 9:47 AM)

Hi Laurie,
I love all of ur cards,especially the one that can help me use my many scraps of paper.
I also have difficulty making cards for men.
I just bought some paper from Stampin Up that I will use for men.
I like bright colors flowers etc..
I don't know how to show my cards on the computer. I check every day for all of the cards that are posted.
Thanks again.
Tina

SuzAnn –   – (July 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM)

Laurie, your cards put a smile on my face with their bright cheery colors and designs. Thanks so much for being part of OWH and sharing your talent with us and the troops!

Nana Connie  – (July 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM)

Laurie, Such beautiful cards! Great colors, so striking and warm. I always had trouble with masculine cards until I discovered Dude Time Doodles and Bonibleaux Designs. I got so experienced with them, I ended up on the Design Team over there! lol Check them out for some humor and inspiration!

Kathy V.  – (July 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM)

Great cards Laurie. I bet the troops love seeing their bright colors, and their family/friends must love receiving them too. Love your reason for contributing to OWH--I remember my grandmother keeping letters from my dad in her Bible, and she read them often even after the war was over. I'm betting some mom or grandmom will do the same with yours!

Ann  – (August 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM)

I love your cards and the simple designs. I especially like the pieced pair of cards. What a great way to use some fun, bright paper. No fancy supplies needed either.

Ann K.

Just A Pac Rat  – (August 2, 2011 at 7:35 AM)

Wonderful cards, so glad you found OWH. Thanks for sharing your talent!

circlebenterprises.com

Donna Poiski  – (August 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM)

Laurie,
I am so proud of you and your cards they are awesome. I remember you working on some of them when we were last together in SA. Keep up the good work.

Sandy  – (August 2, 2011 at 9:49 PM)

Nice cards, Laurie! My first and second husbands were also veterans.

Ayla  – (August 3, 2011 at 6:22 AM)

You are definitely an inspiration to me! With my son and nephew both in the Army, I too know how much cards and letters can mean. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

Anonymous –   – (August 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM)

Yeah! What a grand variety of skills and supplies of not huge expense to send caring thoughts laced in serious protection prayer here and over there! Thank you for sharing and making the doable notion take hold for many who read this blog. Blessings mt23stamperatyahoodotcom
Keep Looking UP!