Featured Cardmaker: Jan R., Akron, OH

Happy Friday Everyone! This week it's my pleasure to introduce you all to Jan and to share some of her beautiful and very artistic cards with you. Jan doesn't have a blog so be sure to leave her your comments here at the end of this post.

How long have you been stamping?
I have been stamping for about fourteen years. I started out just stamping and then added scrapbooking. Most of my cards are now a combination of the two.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you craft?
Yes. I have a small bedroom where I am able to have my crafting and my computer together. I use my computer a lot in my crafting.

What are your favorite stamp/craft products?
I love using my Sure Cuts A Lot program for die cutting. They have a wonderful forum where the members design and share all sorts of wonderful files. If I am unable to find or design something someone on the forum will design it for me. I also love using my Colorartz airbrush. It is supposed to be for fabric but I love the look I get on paper.

Actually, I love to try different techniques. My first love is collage, but if I see something during the day that sticks in my mind I will go home and try to recreate it with the supplies I have on hand.

My family is always giving me a hard time because I like the earth tones so much but when I am designing for OWH I like to use bright, cheerful colors. I think our service people have enough drab in their lives so I strive for something upbeat.

I read about it in a scrapbooking magazine. Since I started making cards for OWH I have learned that many of the women on the Sure Cuts A Lot forum also support OWH.

My husband is a veteran of the Vietnam War. When I see the pictures of those young faces, dressed in their combat gear in remote places my heart just goes out to them and to their families. As a parent I just can’t imagine the stress and concern that they have worrying about their loved ones every day. I do believe that just a simple card or letter on a regular basis can help to ease that stress and if we make it easy for the heroes to send that card we have helped in some small way. We can only repay their sacrifices by giving of ourselves to others and passing it on.

Anonymous –   – (July 15, 2011 at 4:13 AM)

Jan, Your cards are ALL sooo wonderful I can not put my finger on just one that I like best or for what reason. Every inch of each one is so perfect and creative!!!Thanks for sharing here and with us at the SureCutsALot forum.

Yolanda  – (July 15, 2011 at 4:52 AM)

That Liberty Bell card is fantastic!

Linda  – (July 15, 2011 at 5:21 AM)

I second Yolanda's sentiment about the Liberty Bell! But all the cards are wonderful.

Jean B in PA –   – (July 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM)

Jan, I love your cards. Is the liberty bell card done with patterned paper, or did you made a collage of the stamps yourself?
I am only a couple of hours away from you in Meadville, PA.

Jen  – (July 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM)

Beautiful cards! Love your work!

jimlynn  – (July 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM)

Wonderful creations! Love these.
Lynn

Sherry H  – (July 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM)

Nice to "meet" you, Jan, and see your beautiful cards!! The Liberty Bell is amazing, and I'd LOVE to see a tutorial or hear from you how you made the last card shown, with the butterflies. Gor-juss!!

Kathryn  – (July 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM)

Jan, these cards are simply gorgeous. Please think about starting a blog, as I would love to see your work on a regular basis! My favorite cards you've shared are the jazz and liberty bell cards, but every card is clearly filled with love!

Paula S.  – (July 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM)

These cards are all beautiful and while the Liberty Bell is my favorite (it's just spectacular!) I love the variation of styles and techniques in all of them. Thanks so much for sharing your OWH story with everyone this week Jan!

jan –   – (July 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM)

Thanks everyone. The liberty bell was a blank die cut that I covered with old stamps that I had around. The butterfly was done with masks and a stamp from Tattered Angels. The leaf and the large butterfly were masked and then the card was spritzed with ink spray I made at home. I used a mini-mister to spray it. Then I stamped with the matching stamps and a few additional butterfly stamps that I have. I still work full time so there is no way to have time for a blog unless I hire a maid and a cook and that would defeat the purpose of working.....hm, maybe not such a bad idea after all!!!! Thanks to OWH for picking me to be this weeks featured artist!

Carol L  – (July 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM)

It's nice to meet you and see your beautiful cards! I'm blown away by that liberty bell card done up in stamps! It's just amazing!!

B-Jo  – (July 15, 2011 at 9:20 PM)

I A-D-O-R-E the Liberty Bell Card!!! I am guessing you made it by creating a collage of cancelled stamps on a piece of paper or cardstock and then die cut the image of the bell out of the collage! I was in awe of this card and am dying to try one for myself! Thank you for sharing it!

pennyd  – (July 16, 2011 at 5:37 AM)

Wow! All of your cards are gorgeous! Hire the maid and cook, I'd love for you to have a blog and post your goodness for the world to see.

Sarah  – (July 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM)

Gorgeous cards! The Liberty Bell is lovely! Love your work :)

Kathy V.  – (July 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM)

Beautiful work, Jan. Like everyone else, the liberty bell is wonderful, but I also really love your butterfly card. Thanks for the tip about the SCAL group. I just purchased it and have been thinking I should see if there's anyone out there that can help me figure it out, LOL. And along comes you--another OWH'er to boot!

Paper Therapy Ponderings  – (July 17, 2011 at 4:34 AM)

Beautiful cards - love the bright flower - your cards will bring happiness to many people. Thanks for support OWH.

Barb Housner

Colleen  – (July 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM)

You know I love all of your work, mom! All the cards you make are wonderful and mean a lot to me every time I receive one. Kudos for helping soldiers connect with their families back home. I love you!