Featured Cardmakers: Mary P. & Meadowbrook Christian Church, Mount Vernon, IL

This week I have something a bit unusual in that our Featured Cardmaker is actually a whole group of card makers. It's my pleasure to introduce you all to Mary P. and the cardmakers at Meadowbrook Christian Church. Be sure to leave them a shout out in the comments section at the end of this post.

I'll let Mary tell you all her OWH story…

I heard about OWH in Card Maker magazine and my dad (age 93) thought this would be a good hobby for him to get involved in. I have been making cards for about 5 years and Dad and I started working together last year in about April.

I approached our minister, Michael Sheets, about the idea of some of the ladies of our congregation helping us and things took off from there.

Daddy and I did most of the prep work and the ladies glued, stamped and stuffed. My Dad passed away in November 2010, so my sister-in-law took over helping me with all the prep work for the cards.

Debbie, my sister-in-law,  is a "Stampin Up" demonstrator, so most of the supplies we use come from them. They have the best card stock in our opinion.

I have a room dedicated to stamping, card making and scrapbooking. Debbie and I do all prep work at my house. We take card kits to church the last Saturday of each month to complete them.

We always have a good time socializing and doing this small thank you project for our military. Our group numbers range from 4 - 8 women.

Many thanks to Mary, Debbie, Minister Sheets and everyone at Meadowbrook Christian Church for being a part of the OWH family!
SPACER

TK  – (June 24, 2011 at 2:24 AM)

Nice cards and what a wonderful story of how your group got started and keeps going. Heart hugs for the loss of your Dad last Nov. And keep up the good work on the cards. Thanks for sharing.

Linda  – (June 24, 2011 at 4:32 AM)

What a wonderful journey you all have had. Great cards and I bet great fun!

Kimberley Martini Young –   – (June 24, 2011 at 5:32 AM)

I love the monkeys in the tree card. What a cute idea for a card. I bet alot of kids like that card. What a great thing to share with Dad.

Kathryn  – (June 24, 2011 at 6:22 AM)

First of all, thanks for your inspiring story. Your dad continues to touch people through your work- what a legacy!

On a crafty note, I'm so impressed by the variety of ways you've found to use punches. I would hesitate to buy an ornament punch, thinking I'd only use it at Christmas. Clearly, I need to give my punches another look. The fish are awesome!

Jen  – (June 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM)

Great cards and what a wonderful story!

Anonymous –   – (June 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM)

What a great and inspiring story. Sorry for your loss. How wonderful that your dad was able to help you. I love your cards!!!
The monkeys in the tree! I'll have to case that one, and the vase with the flowers...and the fish! Thank you.
Jean

Julie  – (June 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM)

What a great story! So nice to "meet" all of you. These cards are adorable, I see several that I would like to CASE.

Paula S.  – (June 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM)

What a nice variety of styles in this group of cards. The monkey tree made from the scalloped punch is very creative! Thanks for letting me share your inspiring OWH story with everyone this week

ThePurplePlace  – (June 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM)

Great cards and a wonderful group!! Thanks for sharing your cards with us all!!

Rhonda Miller  – (June 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM)

Wow, these cards are gorgeous. TFS.

Anonymous –   – (June 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM)

AWESOME story!!! Beautiful cards from all of you--keep up the great work!!!! :) Denise I.

Sherry Varga –   – (June 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM)

What a touching story!!! Love all the cards too! Great job.

Anonymous –   – (June 24, 2011 at 1:15 PM)

I love your story, and your cards. Thank you for sharing. Pat K.

Beverly Gotthardt  – (June 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM)

Wonderful story-I crafted with my Dad also, you'll always cherish those times together. Great cards, some very clever uses of punches, I love SU also.

Susan  – (June 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM)

what a great story. love that your dad was involved - many people take their age too seriously but dad knew how to live!

the cards are beautiful...you and your team do a fantastic job.

Carol L  – (June 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM)

I'm really loving the fact that your dad crafted with you until his passing. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you think of him with each card you create.
You ladies make a variety of great cards, but I'm especially fond of the apples in the pick-up truck! Keep up the wonderful work, and our troops will love having these great cards to send home!

Sherry Hickey  – (June 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM)

Beautiful cards and an even more beautiful story! Your Dad sounds like he was a wonderful guy. What treasured memories you must have. Thanks to you all for the inspiration and keep up the great work!

Marianne  – (June 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM)

What a wonderful ministry you have started. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your dad.
I loved all the cards posted. I may need to borrow a few ideas from you.
Marianne

Paper Therapy Ponderings  – (June 24, 2011 at 6:01 PM)

What a wonderful thing you are doing and so glad you were able to share it with your father - a very wonderful memory for you. Thank you to you, your sister in law and the members of your congregation who makes your beautiful cards/

Barb Housner

Donna Hanley  – (June 25, 2011 at 3:52 AM)

Hello talented ladies, You are all doing such wonderful work on these cards. Our troops are very lucky to have people like you getting involved to help them and their families out. Mary what a wonderful story about your Dad. If my Dad were still here he would be right in the middle of all of this also. He would have loved to do this as he was an artist and also a WWll veteran. God bless all of you. thank you

Kathy V.  – (June 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM)

What a wonderful, inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it and these wonderfully creative cards. You father must be very proud of you!

One Scrappy Gal  – (June 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM)

What a wonderful way to serve the Lord! God bless you all as you bless the servicemen and women.

Becca Sadler  – (June 25, 2011 at 10:02 PM)

Your group's card creations are marvelous! Glad to hear of Christians using their crafting talents to honor and help others, especially for our military!

KUDOS!