Blog Skip: Stickers

Happy Saturday! We've got some great inspiration in store for you today....some ideas on how to use stickers! Lots of folks prefer these to stamped images, since they don't require coloring, but sometimes they're also a challenge to use. Often the stickers are really cute, but the design of the card, color combos,  or placement can steal their stardom! Our top three tips to keep in mind with stickers:

1. Treat them like an image - mount them, layer them, let them create a focal point on your card. Feel free to just use one to let it be the star!
  2. If they're tiny, find a sketch to "house" them so they don't turn into "sneeze" on a card. (See OWHtv episode 3 if you aren't sure what that is.) The sample below uses Sketch #60, which is a super design for tiny stickers or stamps.
  3. If the stickers are made of thin material, be careful what color you put them on; some are partially see-through and need to be on white or a very light color or they get dark and dingy on patterned or dark papers.

Here's one sample from our fearless leader Sandy - she'll have sticker cards on her blog all week long if you need more ideas and inspiration too!
We'll be drawing a winner for a prize pack - to qualify to win, you'll need to leave a comment on every stop on the skip!

Here's the skip lineup in case you get lost:
  1. Barb at Paper Therapy Ponderings
  2. Erica at Creative But Messy
  3. Jan at She's Gone Stamping
  4. Sherry at Bits of Cheer
  5. Julie at Handmade by Julie
  6. Velda at OldStamper Musings
  7. John at  John VM's Cards
  8. Steph and Robin at SR Cards
  9. Paula at Handmade by Paula
  10. Samantha at Expressions of a Craftaholic

After you're done - come back and let us know what you were inspired by. Then go get out some stickers and make some cards to link up!

Hannah. F  – (April 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM)

Love this Sandy! I still need to go through my stickers, I've never used them on a card before 8~)

Cora  – (April 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM)

Very colorful. Thanks for sharing

Nancy M  – (April 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM)

This was great; my first skip or hop of any kind! I learned so much!! It's lots of fun, too!

Shirley G  – (April 16, 2011 at 9:08 AM)

Wow all the cards were wonderful. I learned a lot on how to use stickers on a card. Thanks for the skip!

Sandi  – (April 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM)

This is my first Skip or hop, I learned alot.. I was not a fan of usuing too many stickers other than to just add a little to a card. I have not used them as a focal point. I really like the idea of cutting stickers and arranging them the way you want them. Thanks to John, I will definately try that! Thanks to all of the bloggers for a great skip and first experience!

airbornewife  – (April 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM)

what a great hop! I left open Jan's blog.. she used a Stampin' UP! Simply Scrappin' kit and I have MANY of these, most never opened.. so I am inspired to pull them out and use them up. thanks to all the hopsters for hopping~! all your cards looked awesome. ~ Pam

Ann  – (April 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM)

I had to skip quickly this morning but I'm glad I took the time. I'll have to revisit everyone later. What great ideas!

annjerryk at aol dot com

Robin  – (April 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM)

a great little skip! I liked so many ideas. I rarely use stickers on cards but now I may give it a try

Seongsook Duncan  – (April 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM)

This is a great skip again. How nice to see beautiful cards created with various stickers. Thanks for hosting. I will share with my group.

Velda  – (April 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM)

I really enjoyed the variety of stickers used and different ways to make them part of the design.

Yvonne  – (April 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM)

The skip was lots of fun and full of ideas and different perspectives. It was really nice to see how to "manipulate" stickers to suit your needs (different backings, cutting, popping them up to add dimension, etc.). Thank you for all the ideas--now I need to get busy and create!

Sue  – (April 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM)

This was my first skip...so now I am definately going to start blogging seriously and join in the fun.

I was inspired by the stickers. I don't like stickers, so will pull what few I have out tonight and see what I can do. I think today has given me a whole new opinion about stickers. :-)

Ann  – (April 16, 2011 at 11:02 AM)

What a great skip. Fabulous cards! Fabulous ideas!! Thank you!!

Yolanda  – (April 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM)

Thanks for the fun skip. Maybe I'll use up some stickers this afternoon. That nine square sketch is perfect for my farm animal stickers.

Misty  – (April 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM)

I totally loved this hop. I do not have any usable stickers, besides 'kiddie & $ store type I used for Pen-paling'. But if I ever get the appropriate stickers, I will be revisiting this skip! So much talent!

Kimberley Martini Young –   – (April 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM)

Thank you for the Sticker Hop. I love my Suzy Zoo stickers and I can not wait to get home(Hopping in Ocean Shores) to make some cards with them. Thanks for all the great tips.

Debbie  – (April 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM)

Oh my goodness I have so many stickers..Great ideas..Thanks

Just Me  – (April 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM)

I love this sticker skip. I am not a sticker person, but this has made me rethink the idea of using stickers. I have too many stickers right now to start buying more, but I am going to put the sticker isle back on my list of places to visit.
Thank you so much for this sticker skip.

Sherry Hickey  – (April 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM)

The blog skip is so much fun; it's my first. I'm especially proud to be part of it. I hope it's an event OWH does often! Love Sandy's sample card.

Kathryn  – (April 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM)

Thanks for reminding us of your three hints for using stickers well.

Ronda S  – (April 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM)

I have really enjoyed this skip. I am looking at the 'tons' of stickers that I own with new eyes! I know now that I can make some amazing cards with stickers....even ones that are leftover from scrapping! Thanks again!

digirl  – (April 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM)

OK- I am NOT going to give up stamping and coloring- but I learned a lot of new ways to highlight the stickers-- and may just need to dig thru my stash! thanks to all who shared!

Andrea  – (April 16, 2011 at 2:15 PM)

this was my first blog skip ever and it was great. so many talented people. it was really inspiring to see how different everyone's style was, but they all made beautiful cards. that's encouraging for me because sometimes i'm tempted to compare myself to others, but i know that i have a unique style and that's okay. my cards don't have to look like everyone else's to be beautiful, because everyone else's cards don't look the same either. love, andrea

sandy  – (April 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM)

This was my first Skip and it was so fun to see all the lovely cards. I wish my cards were so good. I loved the use of 9 little stickers in a square.

LeAnnRM  – (April 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM)

Loved the sticker skip! The best part was that the blogs all told you where to go next and it was much faster than having to go back to the start each time. Now I can use some of the stickers I can'r seem to resst buying.

Christy  – (April 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM)

Wow, those were some great projects. Every blog had unique cards and unique techniques. I might have to give stickers another chance. TFS!

Linda  – (April 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM)

Thanks for organizing the skip; it works out so much better for me as I still have dial-up. Everyone had great ideas and I love using stickers. Thanks a bunch!

andyjay  – (April 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM)

This might be my second comment because my computer glitched on me. Anyway, I'm very anxious to complete the blog skip and find creative ways to use stickers. I've always avoided them and I have a whole binder FULL of stickers to use up. Can't wait to get a-skippin'! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Sue D  – (April 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM)

I left a comment on everyone's blog. I learned a lot of tips about using stickers and not being afraid to cut or alter them.
slrdowney at hotmail dot com

Paula S.  – (April 16, 2011 at 7:29 PM)

I'm glad I got to participate in today's skip. I have to say it has given me an entirely new perspective on stickers and while I don't know that I will start using them often I can say for certain I'll be more open to buying nice ones when I see them. Thanks to all who skipped today!

MizDenise  – (April 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM)

Thanks for all the ideas and examples of so many different styles! I'm glad I got to participate!

Lynn  – (April 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM)

Sandy, this was such a fun skip! It was the perfect size and what a fun subject! I am inspired to get out some stickers that had been sitting in the "forgotten" box. All the card makers did a wonderful job!

Lori  – (April 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM)

The HOP did wonders for me. I now want to go through my very large sticker supply and see what I can do. I have avoided it for a long time. Thanks for the inspiration.

djsown  – (April 17, 2011 at 4:13 AM)

This is AWESOME! I'm going to have to dig out my stickers from who-knows-where they are and get a whole new look going. I don't stamp so this is especially helpful. Thank you!

Barbara  – (April 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM)

Yes you can make it just little easier by using some sticker and it OK to do this!

Auntie Marg  – (April 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM)

Sandy what a great card and what a great skip...TFS

Patricia H  – (April 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM)

I have stickers stashed away from my scrapbooking years, but I haven't used any on my cards in a very long time. I just may have to pull them out and finally put them to use now. Thanks to all the "skippers" for providing lots of inspiration!

Dolores A. –   – (April 17, 2011 at 7:25 PM)

Missed seeing the sticker skip yesterday, but was glad I could check them out this evening. I'm inspired with the wonderful, innovative uses to create a card with stickers. Thanks to all the participants who shared their ideas.

Kajikit  – (April 18, 2011 at 7:40 AM)

All the cards on the hop were lovely! Beautiful work everyone... I'm a big sticker-fan, especially as part of a larger scene. I'll have to try matting them.

custom stickers  – (November 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM)

wow.. this is really good blog to get the stickers of blogs etc..

web design dubai  – (January 24, 2012 at 4:54 AM)

Hi..
WOW that is totally amazing post,all cars are awesome also great ideas. Thanks for sharing.
web design dubai | dubai web design