Tutorial - Bow tying - The Fork Method

Ever wish there was an easy way to tie a cute bow? I consider myself seriously bow-challenged, so when I attended Saturday's Seminar and someone mentioned, "the fork method," I was seriously curious. You're tying a bow with a fork?

Yep! This is a serving fork. Just start with a fork and about a 10-inch piece of ribbon.

Fold the ribbon across the fork, so that the piece on the back side is longer than the front.

Bring the back end of the ribbon over the front and down through the middle slot on the fork.

Now bring it up through the top of the same slot in the fork.

Tie a knot in the ribbon. You can see the back of the bow now.

This is the reverse view. How cute is that bow! Just slip it off the fork and trim the ends and it's ready for your card.

I'm sorry I don't remember who sent me the link to this youtube video.

Bonnie  – (March 29, 2011 at 4:44 AM)

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! May I have permission to post it on my blog? This is definitely worth sharing.

Yolanda  – (March 29, 2011 at 4:54 AM)

Great! Looks easier than the Bow Easy, which I just got last week.

Jen  – (March 29, 2011 at 5:06 AM)

I have never heard of tying a bow with a fork before! I am so trying this today.

K. Joy  – (March 29, 2011 at 6:33 AM)

Oh this is perfect!!! Thanks so much for posting this tutorial - we don't have a Bow Easy and I have such a hard time with my bows!! I'm going to have to try this!! :)

Amy  – (March 29, 2011 at 7:05 AM)

This is AWESOME!! I have a whole class full of people who are going to LOVE you for sharing this idea with me!! Now I'm gonna go find a fork that I can keep WITH my scrapbooking supplies and ribbon!!

Thanks SO much for sharing!! :)

Amy :) at www.lovetocrop.com

Misty  – (March 29, 2011 at 7:06 AM)

It works! And it is easier than Bow Easy. I for the life of me can't get a good pic of it, Very bright in here with the sun through 2 skylights. A little tough with my ribbon choice, a grosgrain one sided pattern, but I wanted it for a baby boy card. Maybe I will have luck posting pic later.
Hummer Hugs,
Misty
hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

Jan Hunnicutt  – (March 29, 2011 at 7:35 AM)

Great tutorial! We were just talking about this yesterday.

MyNeed2Craft  – (March 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM)

Are you kidding me?! haha. I LOVE THIS! Thanks for sharing. You have my life so much easier. I have been making bows by hand for years and I could have been doing this method, so much easier. Gotta go find a fork now~see ya! LOL!
~Terri

Paula S.  – (March 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM)

Great tutorial. This is a wonderful way to get consistent bows. You can also use a wide-tooth comb and vary the size of your bows using this same technique. :)

Anonymous –   – (March 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM)

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I can now make bows for my cards.

Lee Mae

LaDonna  – (March 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM)

I am definitely going to be trying this technique! Thank you for sharing!

suzyQ2  – (March 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM)

Thank you for sharing this great technique! Arthritis is making harder everytime I make a bow.

Anonymous –   – (March 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM)

You can also use a sturdy plastic hair pick, and you can vary the size of the bow.
Works for me!

:: BlueInks ::  – (March 30, 2011 at 12:47 AM)

Thank you, for sharing! I will have to try this method.

Ann  – (March 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM)

Thank you!! Thank you!! The Tuesday tutorials are awesome, they always seem to be just what I need!! Also, if anyone knows a source for the large fork in the video, please share. I use mine all the time and have been looking for my daughters. Now I have another reason to find them one!! :)

Nancy F. –   – (March 30, 2011 at 5:17 AM)

I have a magnetic grid mat on my work surface, and do the same thing by just using two of the little cylinder magnets that came with the mat.

Jeanne  – (March 30, 2011 at 6:15 AM)

This is AMAZING! Now I have a reason to use that serving fork I own. :o)

Marjorie  – (March 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM)

Thank you THANK YOU for posting this. You have made doing a bow so easy.

Tereza Crump aka MyTreasuredCreations  – (April 1, 2011 at 1:02 PM)

oh, WOW this is FANTASTIC!!!!! I make my own bows all the time... but I will definitely try this method. it seems like the bow will come out perfect every time. :) Thanks so much for sharing. :)

JustYolie  – (April 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM)

Thank you for sharing this fabulous tutorial!!!

tracie  – (June 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM)

oh.em.gee. THANKYOUSOMUCH for sharing this! it's super genius!!

rozzie  – (July 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM)

I just rejoined OWH after a 3 month hiatus and the fork bow-tying instructions was just what I needed for some new ideas I was thinking of. Talk about "good timing."

Anonymous –   – (January 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM)

that fork bow making tip is genius!