Stickles - is it ok?

One of our biggest questions that's asked about on our Facebook page, blog, and email is:

"I know glitter is a no no...are stickles okay?"
We've talked about it many times, but we'll address it again for you!

And it's not a straight answer, unfortunately. The whole reason for the rule against glitter is that it makes a mess on our heroes' uniforms and can make them visible to night vision goggles - and we don't want that! They may not even know it's all over them, so it's up to us to send cards that won't make a mess.

Stickles is a product that is SOMETIMES okay. We're not sure whether it's the composition of some of the colors, or simply the amount of Stickles that is used on the cards - but there are some cards where it stays put, and others that it rubs off.
  • Before deciding to use Stickles on your card, test it first. Apply some to the kind of cardstock you'll be adding it to on the card, in the amount you'll be using it, and let it dry. Then test it - if it comes off on your finger when you rub it firmly, then don't use it. Some even use a fabric test - rub a sleeve on it, and see if it leaves the card.
  • If you already have cards with a little Stickles on them (this works only for small spots of it), you can add a little bit of Glossy Accents or Diamond Glaze or other similar product, and that seals it in place. Be sure that doesn't wreck your design - slathering that all over a card can ruin it, and if you apply too much of it too thick it will remain sticky and attach itself to another card in the box, so it may not work for your card.
PS While we're talking sparkles - the papers with the glitter "embedded" in them are okay if they're fully sealed by the manufacturer; many papers have a coating that holds the glitter in place. Some, however, rub off - don't use those, please!

Yolanda  – (March 31, 2011 at 4:34 AM)

I have found the same thing with Spica Glitter Pens. I seal it with Glossy Accents.

Hannah. F  – (March 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM)

Thanks for posting this! someone gave me stickles for my OWH card parties, but I always leave it behind.

Paula S.  – (March 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM)

Good post, thank you. It's good to be reminded why it's so important and the fabric test is a great idea.

andyjay  – (March 31, 2011 at 4:58 PM)

For me, I choose to play it safe and not use anything with glitter in it. No glitter paper, no stickles, etc... I save the glitter for cards that don't go to OWH. Better safe than sorry... :)

Patricia H  – (March 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM)

Plaid makes a paint called Extreme Glitter. It can be painted on like Crystal Effects or Glossy Accents, but it has glitter in it. I've used it on a few projects. I tested its staying power on cardstock by firmly rubbing the painted areas, bending the painted cardstock, and by cutting into the painted area with scissors. Results: NO FLAKING!

So if OWH cardmakers absolutely have their hearts set on using glittery stuff, this paint appears to be a safe option.

lisastuf  – (March 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM)

Another option to "seal" the glitter from flaking or rubbing off is to coat the glittered area with Mod Podge. I tried that recently when I didn't have anything else and it worked great, though it wasn't on an OWH card, but like Patricia said, if someone has their heart set on using glitter, this would work.

Tereza Crump aka MyTreasuredCreations  – (April 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM)

I don't use Stickles or glitter at all on the cards I sent to OWH. Better safe or sorry!! If I want sparkle I add jewels... or beads or pearls... or even glossy accents... if you put glossy accents on stickers or letters they will be shiny without leaving residue on the ones handling the cards. :)

Check out my blog and youtube channel for more inspiration. :)

Tereza Crump aka MyTreasuredCreations  – (April 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM)

I meant to say "Better safe THAN sorry." Sorry. :)

peeps  – (April 1, 2011 at 5:46 PM)

I love my stickles but I limit use to small spots which I cover with Glossy accents. Works like a charm :)

Nicole  – (April 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM)

when people want to help me, i just tell them no glitter. period. because i don't want to be responsible after them. i'm kind of a stickler. haha.

Stamper in TRAINing –   – (April 2, 2011 at 3:26 AM)

Just a caution, as this just happened to me! I THOUGHT I was being SO careful to avoid glitter, but when I sat down to create recently, I happened to tilt my paper in the light and it was covered in fine glitter. It was in a stack with just 2 glittery papers and this 'contamination' did not show until I had it titled just right in the light. Upon checking, most of the others in the stack were 'coated' as well. Now, I thoroughly wipe off any paper, and check it in the light, BEFORE I sit down to use it.