Featured Cardmaker: Lindy C., Seattle , WA

Our featured cardmaker this week is Lindy from Seattle. Lindy does not have a blog but has told me she is contemplating taking "the plunge" so be sure to leave her a comment and let her know you want a way to see more of her wonderful work!

How long have you been stamping?  I'm going to go ahead and date myself by saying I started stamping when we used to heat emboss by melting the powder over the stove burner. Heat guns were a great invention. So probably over 20 years. I taught art in my kids' school for years and incorporated stamping and papercrafting there and then taught classes for grownups at local stores.

Do you have a craft room where you stamp?  Both of my kids are grown so I have a big bedroom that is my studio. If you asked my husband this question, he would want to add that "auxiliary" storage takes up the guest room and part of the basement.

What are your favorite stamp products?  I love my stamps, mounted or not, my ink pads of all kinds (but especially Versafine) and PAPER. I have collected TOO much paper and there is no end in sight.

Do you have a favorite technique?  No clear favorite comes to mind. Since I started making lots of cards for OWH, I find myself revisiting old techniques from years ago as well as trying out new ones. I have always loved hand decorated papers, so alcohol ink techniques, chalking, stippling and brayering are things I often do. I like to color images with watercolor pencils. And I love to cut with scissors, so I often layer parts of images.

Are there colors you love to include?  Maybe colors on the cooler side of the spectrum-like blues, greens and their complements. But the color of my projects is usually driven by the paper I am using, so I'll use about anything.

How did you hear about OWH?  I saw an article in Papercrafts magazine about a year ago. It's a wonderful organization and I am enjoying my involvement so much!

What motivates you to make cards for heroes?  It is my small contribution to the deployed men and women and their families who are sacrificing so much on behalf of the U.S. I love being able to use something I enjoy to enrich their lives and help them keep in contact with one another.

Carol L  – (March 18, 2011 at 3:28 AM)

It's nice to meet and get to know you Lindy! I can SO relate to your paper supply and "auxiliary storage" of supplies! I've even learned to call it an "addiction" now! If you're on the fence about blogging, go for it! It's so much fun!! I really like the father's day card too!

Donna Hanley  – (March 18, 2011 at 6:34 AM)

Hi Lindy from another paper addict. I think you should start you own blog because I (I'm sure along with many others) enjoyed viewing these samples of your cards today. If I can do a blog, anyone can. You are very talented and we can always use more good talent out there to draw from. Each of your sample cards are beautiful in there own way. I could not even pick a favorite. I loved them all. Thanks for sharing with us. Have a creative day.

Paula S.  – (March 18, 2011 at 7:29 AM)

Beautiful cards Lindy! It's hard to choose but I think the Father's Day is my favorite. I love the 3 ties all lined up in a row and the striped paper is just so perfect with them. Thanks for being a part of OWH and letting me share your cards with every here today.

Jennifer Bass –   – (March 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM)

I feel honored to say, that it was Lindy who provided me with my first embossing powders and inspired me to purchase my first embossing gun! I am not at all surprised that you are doing this, because you have always been so generous with your passion for paper-crafting. My former 2nd graders benefited from Lindy's endless supply of paper and creative ideas. Thanks Lindy for supporting our troops. I always love getting your cards in the mail and I can't imagine how touched are military personal must be when they get such a beautiful creation from a grateful citizen. I am so proud of you!

Jennifer
Lincoln, NE

Anonymous –   – (March 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM)

Way to go Lindy!! I've been wanting to call so now will be the time. You are a true inspiration to many!! Thanks for being a part of our team. We love you!! Hugs - Doris

Lina  – (March 18, 2011 at 10:24 AM)

Lindy, All these cards are perfect, gorgeous, and the simplicity is what makes them so beautiful!! :)
Love your style.

Ann  – (March 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM)

Thanks for sharing your cards. I like the torn paper look and have done it a few times myself. I'll have to try again. I have the same Mother's Day stamp so could easily CASE your card.

Ann K

Operation Write Home  – (March 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM)

I always LOVE getting your boxes in the mail, Lindy...you inspire me! :)

Sherry Hickey  – (March 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM)

Hi Lindy, so nice to "meet" you and hear your cardmaking story. Your cards are beautiful; my eye keeps going back to the card with the silhouette because I love vintage illustration. I set up a blog all by myself and my son will tell you that is some kind of miracle. It's a great way for us to keep up with your work and learn from you!!

carla  – (March 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM)

Your cards are absolutely gorgeous! You are so talented Lindy! It is so nice to meet you :-)

Anonymous –   – (March 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM)

Beautiful cards!!!! Love the vintage look!!!! I too am going to try my hand at a blog soon--hope to see you there!!! :) Denise

rainydaycora  – (March 19, 2011 at 4:54 AM)

I very much enjoyed your cards. Such a nice representation of your style. I love your card with the bicycle. I adore using blue and green together. It is so cheerful and vibrant.

Make the leap to a blog. After I got mine set up I went to Create With TLC. I pay her $12 a year and she comes and changes my background. I never have to mess with it. Get a blog and start doing some challenges!