Tutorial: Using Cling Mount with unmounted stamps

Today's tutorial by Sandy is showing how to use a product that not all stampers are familiar with: Cling Mount. It is a backing that can be put onto red rubber, and it then sticks to an acrylic block. It's very easy to use - and if you don't already have any red rubber that you would want to mount, today we're announcing a partnership with StampersBest.com to have custom stamps made with OWH and your name! Check out the Homefront Blog for details. The supplies used in this tutorial were generously provided by Stampers Best, aside from the scissors. Which were borrowed from a stampin' buddy, Kelly.

Here is a partial transcript of the video...I can't seem to stay on-script, but it's close. You'll have to watch to get to the secret at the end!

If you’ve ever gone to a stamp company website and seen “UM” or “unmounted” prices, you may have wondered how you’d use them – the prices are lower than woodmounted or clingmounted stamps – because they’re just the plain red rubber.

When I say plain red rubber – that’s a little misleading. There is plain red rubber, and then there is deeply etched red rubber. Let me show you the difference. This is a sheet of the OWH freebie stamps we’ve been sending out so you will stamp the backs of your cards so we won’t have to. It’s nice thick rubber and etched deeply. You can also see the same on this sheet from StampersBest.com – deeply etched, thick rubber. This other little stamp, which I unmounted from one of the dollar woodmounted stamps, is very thin. I hope you can see the difference between the two – this stamp has trouble with inking around the edges, but deeply etched, good stamps have that inking surface high enough that the inkpad doesn’t touch that rubber edge unless you start smashing the stamp into the pad.

Stamps come in different combinations of mount, depending on the site and what you purchase. You can order plain, wood mounted, cling mounted, cling mounted and trimmed – so watch what you click. These samples are from StampersBest.com. This looks like the same set but – one is just the red rubber, you trim and mount it as you wish. This other set has already been mounted and trimmed, and comes with a cool coated sheet so your stamps stick to it and stay together as a set, and it’s printed with the images on the other side, too.

The cling cushion comes in these huge sheets, so you can mount several sets on each, and they’re reasonably priced. I’ll be using a sheet that’s been cut in half to show you how to use it. You’ll see it has adhesive on one side, very sticky, and the other side is a tacky and will stick to an acrylic block. So….

When you get your red rubber OWH stamp, place the stamp on the sticky side, trim it out, peel off the back, and your stamp is ready to use with an acrylic block. Leave the paper backing in place, and your sheet of cling is protected from sticking to other things.

To mount a set of stamps, cut a piece of cling cushion a little larger than your stamp set, peel off the sticky side, and adhere the rubber to it. With a pair of really good scissors, these are called Kai scissors, trim around the stamp. The deeper etched the stamp is the less you need to worry about getting it trimmed really close. Thinner rubber needs careful trimming.

If you don’t know if your stamp is deeply etched or not, leave a bit of space around the edge as if it is; then when you stamp it, if the edges get ink on them, you can trim in closer.

A note about storage, too – there are a lot of options for storage of cling stamps (as well as acrylics) - Stampers Best has these storage sheets that you can place your stamps on, and I’ll show you what I use - empty cd cases! These should be the thick cases, not the slimline ones, and you’ll pop out the inside tray. Your cling mount will stick nicely to the plastic, and you can stamp yourself a key sheet to put on the top of the case. I also label mine on the sides, and keep the cases on a shelf.

That’s it for our short tutorial today….hope it helps you get more use out of unmounted stamps!

Sherry H  – (January 18, 2011 at 5:54 AM)

Sandy, this tutorial is just what I need. I just purchased some unmounted stamps not understanding exactly what I was getting! Now I can picture exactly how to use them with acrylic blocks. Thanks.

Anonymous –   – (January 18, 2011 at 6:38 AM)

Sandy, thanks for the tutorial. Now I know what to look for in rubber stamps to get the image to look like the picture.
Carol P, Peoria, AZ

Raelynn  – (January 18, 2011 at 7:18 AM)

Can you convert your wood mounted stamps to cling mount with this product? I have a lot of wood ones that take up a ton of room and would love to trim the fat. :-)

Crafting Adventures  – (January 18, 2011 at 7:22 AM)

Great video and I love the picture showing the difference in the types of rubber.

Rhonda Miller  – (January 18, 2011 at 8:15 AM)

Thanks for sharing the video. What a great help.

Sandy  – (January 18, 2011 at 8:34 AM)

Raelynn, yes you can! That's what I did, so all mine are in cd cases except the oversized ones - they're easier to stamp with their wood block.

You need to take the rubber *and* the mount off the wood block; sometimes they're really really stuck, so a few seconds in the microwave will soften the adhesive. Clean off the rubber really well - I use goo-gone - then apply to the cling mount. Works great!

Velda  – (January 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM)

Great tutorial. This gives us a great picture of the difference in deeply etched rubber and the thinner stuff.

Denise –   – (January 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM)

Awesome tutorial!!!! Now I know why my picture sometimes doesn't turn out so good---the stamps are not etched as deep.

airbornewife  – (January 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM)

what a great tutorial. Thank you for showing the picture of both the bare rubber and rubber on the cushion. I have tons of wood mounted stamp sets that I would love to unmount, but need to find the time to do so. thanks again, Pam

Lisa Oliver  – (January 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM)

Thanks for a great, and much needed, tutorial! I have several cling mounted stamps but have always been afraid to order them unmounted (some sites don't even offer them mounted.) Thank you in particular for the storage tip! Especially the idea to put a picture of the stamped images on the outside cover of the case - this method will save time and space.

Anonymous –   – (January 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM)

Thanks for the tutorial. I love the stamps that have people in them-makes me feel like I'm using a picture on my cards and scrapbook pages. I have several UM stamps...I may have to try this out!
Mary Elizabeth-Saint Louis, MO

ms Joyce  – (January 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM)

Wow .. good video and picture tutoral. Good info AND I'm liking the blog candy.

lindy  – (January 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM)

Thanks for the video tutorial! I especially like the CD storage idea and can picture a lovely row of UM sets lined up on my worktable.

Betty  – (January 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM)

Sandy thanks so much for this tutorial - I can just picture my stamps being totally organized now. And I can't wait to get my wood mount stamps off the wood and into CD cases, when I do I'll send you a picture. Speaking of pictures I'd love to see your smiling face at the beginning of the video or even a picture of you at the end...

Marianne  – (January 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM)

Thank you for a great video tutorial. I am really new to the stamping aspect of paper crafting and I have been wondering how some stampers got such a beautifully inked picture to color with markers. Thank you for sharing so much detailed information on the different kinds of stamps.

Marianne S.
sthquilter at gmail dot com
www.paperorfabric.blogspot.com

Kathryn  – (January 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM)

Sandy, thanks for this tutorial. I had mounted by OWH free stamp with double sided tape and knew that wasn't the right way. I can just picture how much better it will work when mounted correctly and will be sure to try some cling foam!

dlwidder  – (January 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM)

Fab tutorial! Perfect for anyone who can't quite picture what to do from written instructions. :-D

Erica  – (January 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM)

Thanks for making the videos. Without them I can not picture how to mount the stamps.

Atticelf  – (January 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM)

I can totally picture using those spare CD cases now! I have used Cling Mount before (it's fabulous!) but thought I had to keep the little white part on the cling side. Thanks for enlightening me!

My name is Julie and I am a paper addict.  – (January 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM)

I never noticed the difference between rubber stamps before! Just went and checked out the Stampers Best site - some fantastic background stamps there. I have a Mexico picture that would be perfect with the hieroglyph one.

My wish list grows...

Yolanda  – (January 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM)

Ohhh, I get it now :) That picture really shows off the depth of etching too. Going to go window shopping!

One Scrappy Gal  – (January 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM)

Thank you for a great tutorial. It really helped me get a picture of what is involved in mounting the stamps.

Rufus  – (January 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM)

Very nice tutorial, Sandy. Great pictures of all the steps nec. to mount your own rubber. I'm going to have to check out Stamper's Best. Thanks!
R/

Dena  – (January 19, 2011 at 1:57 AM)

WoW! Thank you so much for doing this. Now, everything is so crystal clear to me when it comes to the difference between regular rubber and deeply etched rubber stamps. I had no idea how to use the clint mount either. Now I do! Thanks for painting such a clear picture for me! :)

Carol L  – (January 19, 2011 at 4:21 AM)

This has been a very informative video, and I never quite got the picture before of how cling mount works and what the differences are between unmounted/cling mounted stamps! This is a big help, thanks so much!!

Just A Pac Rat  – (January 19, 2011 at 7:35 AM)

Last year I put all my stamps into CD cases and even separated them by themes. I love it, except I forgot to list what the brands were and don't know where I got over 1/2 of them. But on the brighter side, over 600 different stamps now in 38 CD cases and still growing. The space saving alone and the easy access to all of them is well worth the money I spent on the backing material and cases.

circlebenterprises.blogspot.com

Nancy Keller  – (January 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM)

I have had an unnatural fear of unmounted rubber stamps. . until now. What a great video, thank you, thank you! Now I get the picture! :D

Lina  – (January 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM)

Hi Sandy, I enjoyed this picture perfect tutorial.

Donna S –   – (January 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM)

What a great tutorial! I have lots of wood mounted stamps that take up a lot of space. It's nice to know they can be converted. I like the idea of using the CD cases and then putting the picture on it so you know what's in the case! Thanks!

KC  – (January 20, 2011 at 3:03 AM)

Thanks for sharing this tutorial for the different types of mounted/unmounted stamps. I have a picture etched stamp that is unmounted that I didn't know what to do with. Thanks again!

Ann  – (January 20, 2011 at 4:04 PM)

Thank you Sandy for another great tutorial. They are all so informative, as is most everything about this blog. I love all the tutorials, challenges and featured cardmakers. I especially enjoy looking at the pictures of everyone's cards!

Sandi Freeman –   – (January 21, 2011 at 7:12 PM)

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, now I can mount my OWH stamp! In my free time I go to the facebook page to look through the pictures to get other ideas! I really enjoy looking through the pictures to see how others put patterns together!

Anonymous –   – (January 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM)

I enjoyed watching the video, just wish the PICTURE was larger for these old eyes. I learned about trimming, I wasn't sure how to do that. I have bought several unmounted and wasn't sure how to trim. Thanks, Charlotte, NC

Teri  – (January 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM)

Thanks for the great tutorial! Thanks for the pictures in the post to make things a bit clearer!

Mounted Stamp Sets  – (October 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM)

Awesome tutorial.I watching this video,i love it.Thanks for sharing important post with us.