Featured Cardmaker: Ruth Ann G, Gilbert AZ

How long have you been stamping?  I have been stamping for over ten years.  I bought the first stamps for scrapbooking.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp? I turned one bedroom into a stamping/sewing room because my stamps and supplies had taken over the table and island in the kitchen.

What are your favorite stamp products?
  My favorite product is whatever I am using at the time.  I love my Martha Stewart scoring board.  I couldn't make cards for OWH without it.

Do you have a favorite technique? My favorite technique is anything watercolor.  A friend showed me her cards made using Art Impressions' watercolor technique and it was love at first sight.  If I could paint it would be with watercolor.

Are there colors you love to include on your cards?  My favorite color is lavender so many of my cards are in shades of lavender, purple, pink, etc.  I love pumpkins and fall so orange is my second favorite color.

How did you hear about Operation Write Home?  I discovered OWH last November on Susan Railhala's blog, Simplicity.  I was making plans at the time to retire in February and thought what a great thing to do.  I usually have all my cards for the year, including Christmas, made by the end of April.  Now I can make as any cards as I want.

What motivates you to make cards for our heroes? My husband was in the coast guard during the Viet Nam War and I remember how happy I was when a card or letter arrived.  I put the cards in a scrapbook which I still have.  Sometimes he sent watercolor sketches of what he saw from the porthole of the lightship he was stationed on.  The letters on the blog from the troops are so touching and motivate me to keep making cards.  I receive so much more than I could ever give.  Cards are easier and faster to design without glitter and all the lumpy-bumpy stuff like buttons and brads.  When I get a design I like, I get to make more than one card.

Joan V  – (October 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM)

Beautiful cards. So simple yet beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Jan Hunnicutt  – (October 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM)

It's nice to meet you Ruth Ann, your cards are beautiful!

Kathie McGuire  – (October 15, 2010 at 8:37 AM)

What wonderful cards!! I love everything you've done here, Ruthann!! I feel so fortunate to have seen your cards "live and in-person!" Your style is so unique and wonderful--how special those service men and women are to have one of your handmade treasures to send to a loved one at home.

Come to think of it, YOU'RE the treasure! Thanks for all you do, for everybody!

Just A Pac Rat  – (October 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM)

Beautiful cards! Keep up the great work, not that you would stop, LOL! It's addictive!

Nancy –   – (October 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM)

Your cards are lovely! I'm sure they end up in scrapbooks all over the country!

Paula  – (October 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM)

Wonderful cards Ruth Ann. I particularly like how you punched the card egde on the Thank You card. That never occurred to me and the result is beautiful.

Susan Raihala  – (October 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM)

Wonderful cards, Ruth Ann! As the wife of a retired Air Force officer, I know how important OWH is to the troops, and your generous participation and sharing of your talent is much appreciated! Hugs, Susan

Cyn  – (October 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM)

Hello fellow Arizonian!! Wonderful cards!!!!

Jan  – (October 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM)

I'm a lucky recepient of Ruth Ann's
cards and early on created a shadow
box to display and protect them.
The cards truly are works of art.

betty benton  – (October 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM)

Ruth Ann, your cards are lovely! OWH is blessed to have you as part of their family and so are the troops and their families who send and receive your beautiful creations!

ThePurplePlace  – (October 16, 2010 at 1:09 PM)

Hi Ruth Ann,
I love your cards and was especially interested in reading that you love and use a lot of watercolors.

I've never tried creating with water colors, but really love the look on your cards. I'm a huge fan of lavender and pink and purple (in any shade) is my favorite color.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us all! :)

Ruth Ann –   – (October 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM)

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.
Just A Pac Rat - you are so right about this being addictive!
Susan - thanks, you are my idol!
The Purple Place - none of these cards were made using a watercolor technique. The shading on the flowers on cards 4 & 6 was created by stamping several times before reinking the stamp.

Dolores A.  – (October 16, 2010 at 6:36 PM)

It's great to meet you here!
Thanks for sharing your story and the lovely cards.

Marianne  – (October 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM)

What great cards. i love the watercolor technique you have done.

Anonymous –   – (October 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM)

Your cards are so fantastic. They are the best expressions of what life is all about!!! I have enjoyed being able to see the progression of the designs from beginning to end.

Marcia –   – (October 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM)

your beautiful cards are so heartfelt and personal. It's an honor to receive one.

Sherry H  – (October 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM)

Congrats on being featured cardmaker, Ruthann! And thanks for showing us a nice variety of your cards for inspiration! My favorite is the bird...keep up the great work!

Robin  – (October 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM)

Ruth Ann:
Because of your feature, I just had to go investigate Art Impressions. I couldn't sleep last night with all of the possibilities running through my head. (You Tube videos are so handy.) It was a real chore to get through work today. I couldn't wait to give the technique a try. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I have truly made a work of art, in no time at all. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (though my pocketbook will be feeling the sting)