Tutorial - Layering With Your Cricut Machine

This week's tutorial is brought to us by Sheila. Sandy noticed how great her Cricut cards were; the layering really makes the images "pop" on the card. We asked Sheila to share her secrets with the rest of us.

By using the creative features of your cricut machine you can make your creations literally pop off the page, making your cards that much more adorable. I’m using the Create a Critter cricut cartridge for this demonstration. Not all cricut cartridges have the same creative features for layering but most of them at least have a shadow feature.

For most of my critter cuts I use on cards I do a 3 inch cut. To make this dinosaur, I’m using the following four colors.

First I cut the shadow:

Then I cut layer 1:

Then layer 2:

And finally layer 3:

The Cricut machine has function keys that will say, “layer 1, layer 2, etc”. It’s very easy to follow.Here’s my four pieces that I’m ready to assemble together.

I start from bottom to top. I glue the orange cut onto the black shadow cut.

The lighter green cut is next.

And finally I add the top green layer.

I like to use fun cuts like these to make a variety of cards. In the “thinking of you” card, I added wiggle eyes!

When you use the layering features of the Cricut very often you'll be left with a lot of small pieces that need to be adhered, such as eyes, lips, etc. I personally use Scotch brand Quick dry tacky glue for all of my adhesive needs. I have never had issues with any of my smaller pieces falling off because the tacky glue didn't hold. I found that over time glue sticks didn't hold up.

Thanks again, Sheila, for the great tips! Sheila doesn't have a blog, so everyone please leave a comment to let her know how you liked this tutorial. I don't know about anyone else, but now I want a Cricut!

Carolina Girl (Cely)  – (August 31, 2010 at 5:02 AM)

I love my Cricut and I love layering and thanks for the tutorial.

Kajikit  – (August 31, 2010 at 6:32 AM)

Very cute! I'll have to keep an eye out for that cartridge. :)

Julie  – (August 31, 2010 at 7:54 AM)

These cards are so adorable. I need to get in some quality time with my mom's Cricut, I think!

Jan Hunnicutt  – (August 31, 2010 at 8:27 AM)

Great tutorial and love your cards, they are so cute!

Rhonda Miller  – (August 31, 2010 at 8:33 AM)

Thanks for the tutorial. I don't have a cricut, but I do have some Sizzix dies that I can layer with. I'll have to pull them out. These cards are so cute.

Yvonne  – (August 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM)

I LOVE LOVE this cartridge and use it all the time! Cute projects.

songbird cindi  – (August 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM)

I've never seen this cartridge - it's so cute! Thanks for the tutorial - you can never have too much information! Now I'll be dragging out my Cricut and making cards. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous –   – (August 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM)

Blogless and cricutless here as well, but read your tutorial with interest. I'm sure, now that I've seen the layering that the cricut can do and read through your great explaination, Sheila, I'll be able to incorporate some of the layering into my own cards. Thanks for sharing. Sharla

helloholley  – (August 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM)

Great tutorial and inspiration!!! These cards are too cute!!! ;)

Lori –   – (August 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM)

I LOVE this cartridge - very adaptable for all sorts of applications (not just kids), and use it lots! Really DOES make a world of difference when you use it "as intended" (ie: adding all the different layers). And with the addition of GOOGLEY EYES.... TOO cute!!

Beth Ann  – (August 31, 2010 at 4:10 PM)

You gave me some great info! I have not done much with the layering with my Cricut because I just didn't "get" it! But now that I see how awesome it can make your cards look i am going to investigate it!!! Thanks! Beth Ann

Robin  – (August 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM)

thanks for the tutorial
I have a cricut and do not use it as much as I should, I'm going to give this layering a try!

cute cards!

Nancy –   – (August 31, 2010 at 5:31 PM)

I found this tutorial very worthwhile. I don't know anyone with a Cricut, so I really didn't have any idea what it could do. These cards are so cute! Thanks for all the great info!

ThePurplePlace  – (August 31, 2010 at 5:33 PM)

Woohoo!

Fantastic tutorial! This is awesome because I own this cute cartridge and now you have INSPIRED me to start using my Cricut for some cute and different cards!

Thank you!!

Sheila –   – (August 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM)

Thanks everyone for the kind words!! =)

Marianne  – (August 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM)

Sheila,
Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing the size you started with. That is the hardest thing for me.

Nancy Keller  – (August 31, 2010 at 10:13 PM)

So danged cute! Now I need the create a critter cartridge! :) Thanks for sharing your layering technique!

Cricut Expression Machine  – (September 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM)

This is my favorite cartridge, my kids love it when I make animals and letters, I also make their birthday invitations using Cricut.

Jennifer –   – (October 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM)

I love my cricut! Thanks for sharing how to use the layering feature :)