Featured Cardmaker: Betty T, Salina KS

How long have you been stamping?
I’ve been stamping for about five years. Although I can honestly say my stamping has improved some, I still can not cut a straight line.

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp?
Since our two kids have left the nest, I’ve reclaimed the basement. My friends make fun of me because I do most of my card work on the ironing board. It’s adjustable, within reach of everything, and when it’s full, I know it’s time to clean and start over.

What are your favorite stamp products?
Most of my stamps and paper are from The Angel Company. House of Mouse, always put a smile on my face and I have discovered two paper stores, that I always make a point to spend some time and money at. I have Copic markers on my wish list, so I’m hoping with Christmas around the corner, I’ll find a few in my stocking.

I love to paper piece. It’s a simple way to change the look of a card and to use up those scrap pieces.

I tend to use warm or muted colors. I love bright fun colors, but they tend to scare me. I buy them, but they are always the last ones I use.

I came across the Cards for Heroes blog last year after their Memorial Day blog hop. I thought “I can do that.” I’ve been hooked ever since.

Reading the Hero’s Blog always inspires me to make cards.
I’ve had people in my life, past and present, that has served in the military.
I’ve always wanted to help, but never knew what small thing I could do to make a difference. What a wonderful organization OWH is to give me the opportunity to do just that.

Carolina Girl  – (August 6, 2010 at 5:05 AM)

What a wonderful story and I will have to check out those stamp stores. Too cute! Thank you for the inspiration.

Yolanda  – (August 6, 2010 at 5:17 AM)

I love your cards. That little girl is so cute and the hero in his underpants is so fun. Reminds me of my kids when they were little.

Nancy F. –   – (August 6, 2010 at 7:19 AM)

Betty, your cards are great and all very different! I love that little girl with the pigtails and what you did with her. I sometimes get stuck in a rut and need some inspiration to do some extras, instead of just layering a stamp on a card front. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the inspiration!

Paula  – (August 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM)

Lovely cards Betty! I absolutely love the printed paper and color combination in the "I Thought of You" card. It's always inspiring to read the Featured Carmaker post. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous –   – (August 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM)

Very pretty cards. I love that Martha Stewart Doily edge punch. I cannot wait til I get mine next week.

Susan  – (August 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM)

Thanks for sharing your story. I can't cut a straight line either. Love your cards.

dm.allnock@verizon.net  – (August 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM)

Thanks for sharing your story with us here and your cards...they are just wonderful!

Vieve  – (August 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM)

Totally cracked up about the cardmaking on the ironing board...what a hoot! Love the cards!

Dixie Cochran  – (August 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM)

The Hero card makes me smile!! Your cards are terrific! Thank you for sharing with us!

Cyn  – (August 6, 2010 at 8:08 PM)

Your cards are wonderful! PS I am scared of bright colors too lol

TK Cat Herder  – (August 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM)

These are adorable. I love your designs and the "Hero in the cape" stamp is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen, aka StampinGran  – (August 7, 2010 at 6:11 AM)

I love, love your cards, especially the Wonder and Joy girl sitting on the "ledge." I have that set and can always use more inspiration. I also have Oh, No, She Didn't and the other new one that's in the new catalog. Of course, I've been with The Angel Company for over 10 years so I have LOTS of the stamp sets.

Anonymous –   – (August 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM)

Thank-you for all the nice comments. I told Sandy several times, that my cards may not be worthy as there are so many others who's work is far more deserving.
Betty

Our Little Inspirations  – (August 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM)

Betty, everyone's cards are worthy of being showcased, including YOURS!! They're all beautiful and so inspiring and the fact that you donate them to OWH makes each and every one special! Now I'm trying to imagine crafting on an ironing board! Nope! Can't visualize that at all! LOL

Anonymous –   – (August 8, 2010 at 6:05 AM)

Being a fellow Kansan I've noticed your ongoing support of OWH. I was thrilled to see you were chosen as a featured cardmaker as it allowed me a glimpse of some of your lovely cards today and it also gave me the opportunity to get to "know" you a little bit as well.(I had to laugh because I sometimes use my ironing board for a cardmaking worktable too. How funny is that! It can't be just a Kansas thing. Or can it? LOL!) Glad to see all your good work Betty! Your dedication is so appreciated! Sharla in Topeka

Mischelle Smith  – (August 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM)

All of us at The Angel Company are so proud of you Betty! You and each of our Angels who participate in OWH! What a blessing you are!

And HOW FUNNY is it ... that you create on your ironing board! LOL! LOVE IT!

HUGS!
Mischelle

Seleise  – (August 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM)

Great cards by Betty! It's wonderful you give back and your cards are super! Congrats on being featured!!! Your ironing board must be much sturdier than mine is! lol!

Julie Robinson  – (August 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM)

Betty - your cards are just FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the idea about using the ironing board! hmmm - may need to expand to that when my table is too full - LOL

Christine  – (August 9, 2010 at 5:54 PM)

Hi Betty! Congrats on the feature--your cards are amazing, just like you! Thanks for all that you do for us at TAC and for the military. Like others, an ironing board? What a hoot!

~Christine

Diane  – (August 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM)

Betty, what fun to see your cards instead of just asking for help! LOl Great job! ;-)

Cynthia  – (August 10, 2010 at 6:45 AM)

Betty,

Love your cards! great job!

Cynthia:)

Chris  – (August 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM)

I create mostly on my washing machine and dryer - so I can relate to your "time to clean up" meter!! How wonderful that you have been so supportive of this group - it's very much appreciated! Glad to see you featured, hip hip hurray! :) Chris

Nora  – (August 12, 2010 at 8:58 AM)

As a past recipient of one of Betty's cards I can honestly say that while they look great in photos, they're even better in real life!
Betty, these cards are fantastic & you just keep making 'em, GF!
♥hugs♥