Paper Piercing Tutorial and a New Page!

Have you ever thought to yourself, "I know I saw the answer to that somewhere, but I can't remember where?" If so, you are going to love the newest addition to the Stars & Stamps blog.

The Cardmaking Glossary is part index, part dictionary, and part FAQ. You will find links to resources from this blog, the Homefront blog, the Forum, and OWH's youtube page. Hopefully there is something there for everyone. New information will be added over time, and please let us know if you are looking for something that isn't listed.

* * * * *

And now, thanks to Karen for today's tutorial. You all know Karen from the sketch challenges and all her other work on the Stars and Stamps blog. You can see more of her creations on her blog at Feline Creative. Karen writes:

Paper piercing is a method of decorating paper by inserting a needle thru the paper (piercing it) to make a series of small holes that create a design or pattern. There are several paper piercing templates available depending on what design you are looking for. I mostly paper pierce around the edge of my images because I love how it softens the look. When creating landscape or wildlife scenes paper piercing gives the allusion of bringing the edge of the image in a little so the scene no longer looks like it runs off the edge of the paper.

Here is a quick tutorial on how to paper pierce around the edge of your images.

Before we get started, here is a look at the supplies you will need: a mat, paper piercing tool and paper piercing template.

Next, cut the image to the finished size you want to work with leaving a little space around the edge so that you don’t paper pierce the image itself. Lay the image on the mat and place the template over the image lining up the template so that the gridlines are lined up with the edge of your cardstock. This will ensure that your pierced holes are even all the way around the image. Push the paper piercing tool into each hole in the outside row of holes around the edge of the cardstock. When you complete one side simply turn the image, line up the template again and continue until you’ve pierced holes all the way around the image.

When you are finished paper piercing the image should look like this.

Some fun variations are to pierce designs in the corners (triangles, photo corners, etc.) or to pierce two rows around the image. Wherever your creativity takes you, hope you have lots of fun!
* * * * *
Thanks again to Karen for today's tutorial! Please add links to your own pierced cards on the linky below. As always, if you have thoughts about the tutorial or about the new Cardmaking Glossary page, please leave a comment or email kate@operationwritehome.org. Enjoy!

Nancy Keller  – (July 27, 2010 at 8:23 AM)

So excited about the gloassary! That is super informative! And I love the piercing tutorial! That template looks awesome by the way. . .

Kate  – (July 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM)

Someone asked about where to find that template. I have one from Stampin' Up! I assume Karen's is the same one. I did an online search and realized that they aren't as common as I thought they would be. If anyone else knows another place to find a similar template please include that info in your comment. Thx!

Cindy's Card Co  – (July 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM)

And to think I've been using a T-pin all this time.

Nancy Keller  – (July 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM)

I recognize the tool and mat from Close To My Heart - but that template looks awesome, yes, does anybody have a link for that template? Mine is brass and it doesn't have near as many fun pokey holes. :)

songbird cindi  – (July 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM)

The template is from Stampin'Up and is part of the Mat Pack. Item number 105826, price is $9.95. The template comes with a pad to protect your work surface.

helloholley  – (July 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM)

I love to paper pierce projects!!! I often forget about it though,LOL!!

Nancy,you can get the mat pack for $9.95 and the paper piercer tool for 3.50....both from Stampin' Up! You can place a order from me anytime on my blog ;)

Beth  – (July 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM)

Take a marker, connect the dots and you will have faux stitching! Thanks for this GREAT blog! :o)

schuyler dog  – (July 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM)

Kate, this glossary is superb!! It has all the information in one easy to find place. I love this!! And the tutorial is great too. Thanks for all your hard work on these.

Irene at GoneScrapbooking.com  – (July 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM)

Thank you Kate for the wonderful glossary! I linked to it in the daily scrapbook news at http://exm.nr/c8GhHf :)

jayne  – (July 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM)

Love the glossary - great info!

Barb Housner –   – (July 28, 2010 at 4:14 AM)

for quicky piercing - unthread your sewing maching and just stitch - lazy man's piercing - I forget to do this also and love the look

Barb Housner

Julie  – (July 28, 2010 at 7:33 AM)

I have paper pierced without a template simply by holding a ruler down and piercing every 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch, whatever I'm going for. (I also use a butter knife for scoring because I am cheap like that :)