Tutorial - Using Chalk

Today's tutorial is courtesy of Nancy at Scrap Happens! If you aren't familiar with her blog, you've been missing out on some creative stuff and great tutorial videos.

I recently visited Nancy's blog and found this post featuing a great illustration of using different methods of coloring images. The methods illustrated are:

1. Chalk
  2. Markers
  3. Colored Pencils, and
  4. Water Color pencils.

I was happy to see it for two reasons. One, because it's such a clear illustration of the different outcomes you can get from different techniques, and two, because several people have expressed interest in learning more about using chalk. So I asked Nancy if she would consider doing a tutorial for us.

Nancy created this excellent video for us, and I know you are going to enjoy it!

In case you had difficulty viewing the video, here's a bit of what Nancy demonstrated.

In addition to the applicators that come with the chalks, you can use cotton swabs, inexpensive make-up brushes, or small paint brushes.

Chalk is great for making highlights or shadows to give dimension to the images.

You can use chalk on felt, silk flowers or paper.

Chalk added to black & white photos creates a colorized effect.

Use chalk to soften the edges of photos to give them a distressed look.

Thanks again to Nancy for making this tutorial for us! Please leave a comment or visit her blog and let her know how you liked it! As always, if you have suggestions about the Tuesday Tutorials, or if you would like to volunteer to present a future tutorial, please email kate@operationwritehome.org.

Jean B. in PA –   – (June 29, 2010 at 6:20 AM)

Thank you for the chalk tutorial! Now I feel enough confidence to give chalk a try.

Julie  – (June 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM)

This was great! I am going to buy some cheap make up brushes ASAP to use for my chalks!!

Betty  – (June 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM)

Well done :) I'll have to dig out those chalks I have buried somewhere when I get back on Friday...

Adele  – (June 29, 2010 at 2:25 PM)

I am wondering if you have to do anything to keep the chalk from smudging on the card after applied. I use sticks of chalk in a different method to make chalk cards, and I have to set them with hairspray or they would smudge all over the place.

Nancy Keller  – (June 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM)

Thanks Kate :) You guys are the best group ever. . I am honored to be able to participate in all that goes on here at S&S. . . I hope that everybody can find a little something useful from the video. Big hugs to you all!!!

Jackie  – (June 30, 2010 at 6:54 AM)

Wonderful! Thank you for the tutorial - now where did I put those chalks?

Nan  – (June 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM)

Great tips and explanation on the tutorial. Than you so much. I feel a trip to the Dollar Tree in my future. Thanks again.

Anonymous –   – (July 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM)

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

klspeer1  – (March 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM)

Thanks for all of the chalk ideas. I have used chalk for quite a while, but never thought of using makeup brushes or blender pens. Thanks!

Rilda  – (October 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM)

Wow! awesome! Thanks so much for showing me how and what to use. There is much I learned. Great job!
*U*

Ronnie Bear  – (April 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM)

Great tutorial on chalks!! Now I can't wait to try it tomorrow. Thanks very mnuch