Tutorial - Easel Card

Several people have said they would like to learn the Easel Card fold. This is a great way to show off a special card, and it is much easier to make than you might think. There are several tutorials out on the web, but I wasn't able to find one that folded to an A2 size. I've adjusted the measurements below for a vertically oriented A2-sized card.

You will need:

• A 4.25" x 11" piece of cardstock for your base.
  • A 4.25" x 5.5" card front to attach to the base.
  • Something dimensional to hold the fold in place. This can be a brad or button or a thick layer of cardstock. It needs to stick up enough to act as a 'stop' for the front of the card, but remember you will be laying the card flat to put it in the envelope, so you don't want it to be overly thick.
(Click to enlarge.)

Fold the cardstock base in half (4.25 x 5.5) and then fold the top half in half again (4.25 x 2.75). This will make the base to which you will attach your decorated card front. The figure on the right shows how the card front will attach to the base.

Note - use a strong adhesive to attach the card front, and only attach the front to the top quarter (4.25 x 2.75 section) of the base.

Place your dimensional 'stop' somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the base of your card. Play with your card at different positions to see what angle looks best for your card front.

Variation - If you want to make a horizontally oriented A2-sized card, start with a base that is 5-1/2 x 8-1/2" and fold at 4-1/4" and 2-1/8".

You may also want to re-visit Jeanine's blog hop post to see how she made her Easel Fold card.

Here is an Easel Fold tutorial video from Splitcoast Stampers:

Please leave a comment and let us know if you try the Easel Card fold. If you have any feedback or suggestions for tutorials, or if you are interested in sharing a technique in a Tuesday Tutorial, please email kate@operationwritehome.org.

helloholley  – (June 15, 2010 at 5:43 AM)

I remember I didn't try an easel card for awhile thinking it was hard to do!!! but it really is very easy and once you make your first one.....it's hard to stop!!! I love them!!! ;)

Anonymous –   – (June 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM)

You make it look so easy. OK, I'm going to try this now. (Lovely card!) -TK, Vancouver WA

Ms  – (June 15, 2010 at 9:27 PM)

thanks for the tutorial. I keep seeing these types of cards but couldn't figure out how to make them. Looks like I've got a project for tomorrow.... Thanks again

Debi!  – (June 16, 2010 at 4:56 AM)

oh, did I say

THANK You! I love this, and wondered how!!! Much appreciated!!! Love the tutorial!

mmwilken  – (June 16, 2010 at 5:57 AM)

This is wonderful and so much easier than I thought!! Thank you so much for the instructions!! Going to use this soon.

StampinSher  – (June 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM)

Oh boy! I'm so glad we have this section of OWH with tutorials. I wanted to do this and I couldn't remember where the instructions were so Thank you very much. I really love the fact that I get emails too. OWH has made my desire for creating a lot easier!
A REALLY BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO EVERYONE WHO SHARES THE "HOW TO DO IT" with all of us!
Smilin' Sher

Donna  – (June 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM)

I love your weekly tutorials. I have to make a card using just about every one. Can't wait to do this easel card. Thank you!!!

Shirley  – (November 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM)

I could not believe how hard it was to find a simple A2 easel card tutorial. I didn't want to re-invent the wheel and you saved me!!! I am linking to you on my blog. Hope it is okay!!! Hugs, :D