Question: Digistampers, WE NEED YOU!

With the craze in digistamping, we'd love to compile a list of printer models and what coloring medium works best (without smearing) with each - as well as which models should be avoided if you're going to color at all. Stay tuned for a future post with a list compiled for you, we'll spend some time researching!

Our questions for those who have tried digis:

1. What printer model are you using? (brand and model will help!)
  2. What do you color them with? (if you can, do a quick test for us - see if watercolors, copics, regular markers, or pencils make it smear)
  3. Do you do anything to the printouts to keep them from smearing (like heat with an embossing gun, etc)?
  4. Any tips for the printing side of using digis?
And if you need a quick page to run a test on, how about these? Click on the image and then download the LARGER one (the thumbnail will be small).

And if you didn't see it yet - Eric created a special digi as a thank you for the hop! Check it out here. It's so cute!

Yolanda  – (June 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM)

I'll tell you what I am using that smears: Lexmark X2650. It could be that I am not letting my images sit long enough after printing.

Paula  – (June 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM)

My suggestion is to print out a full page of digisat home and then have a COPY made at you local copy shop. In a nutshell the basic difference in Toner (copy machines are Toner based) VS. InkJet technology is that Inkjets use liquid ink that is absorbed into the paper, Toner actually sits on the surface of the paper and is fused to it under very high heat. It's not nearly as convenient as using your inkjet but once you have your master pages you can get a bunch of copies made all at one time. Also be certain that you ask for the copies to be made on a nice quality paper. Standard 20lb bond that is commonly used for copying is simply too thin to sustain artistic techniques well. I personally swear by Hammermill Laser Print 32lb. because it is a super bright white (96 rating) and a smooth finish. It's a commonly available brand nationwide. This method should eliminate all smearing/bleeding issues no matter what medium you choose.

mumgranny  – (June 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM)

I currently use an old HP printer (DeskJet 5440). I find if I let my printing sit a day before coloring I do have less smearing. I do find with digi stamps I am going through my ink cartridges faster. Wondering if anyone is using the cheaper inks successfully. Also does anyone have a Kodak printer. They are more expensive but I hear the inks are cheaper.

Jackie  – (June 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM)

I have tried a few digistamps and they work pretty well with my printer. I have an HP LaserJet 1020, which is a laser printer and uses toner rather than ink. I have colored with Copics and nothing smeared. I let the images sit for a little while just to be safe but I didn't heat set them, I just colored and they were fine. I haven't tried any other coloring mediums yet but I will and will report back. Over and out.

Nancy Keller  – (June 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM)

Great success! I am printing with an HP psc 1210 model printer using HP brand ink (just your run-of-the-mill color and b&w ink cartridges - nothing fancy.)

I have been printing on white cardstock or even watercolor paper and allowing them to dry for a few minutes - or whenever I get around to coloring them.

I have found that printing in the best quality (max DPI) with the "photo quality" setting gives me a fantastic image with no pixel-ey lines - the printed digi-stamp looks more like a "stamp" and less like something that is printed this way.

What to color them with has been a real adventure in progress. I will sometimes print the same image and experiment with lots of different mediums just to see what "works" best.

Favorites: dry brushing with chalks. Coloring with watercolor pencils and using a blending pen give it a watercolor look. Copic markers. Bic Mark-It markers. Plain old, dollar store colored pencils. Tombow markers and Exclusive Inks markers by Close to my Heart.

Not so favorites: Anything that is too "wet" will make my ink smudge. This includes Primsacolor markers and using a water brush to pick up ink from a pad - or traditional watercolors with a brush. Crayola markers or other off brand markers are also usually out because they look well. . . too much like markers and don't blend well.

I think that the most fun part of this is learning what works and what does not. I think that it would make a fun blog post - maybe I will make one to share my successes and failures. :)

Jan Hunnicutt  – (June 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM)

I love coloring digital images with Copic markers, I bought an HP Laserjet P1102 recently. It only prints in black which is perfect for what I wanted it for.

I also have 2 other HP printers, a desk jet and Photo Smart, I always had problems with the ink smearing when I used the Copic markers.

The toner based Laser printer works best for me.

Seongsook Duncan  – (June 5, 2010 at 6:20 PM)

1. HP Inkjet Printer (hp psc 2175xi all-in-one)

2. Bic Mark.it markers,Sharpie markers, Prisma Colored Pencils, sometimes watercolor pencils.

3. I usually leave it to dry completely. I learned that it is better if you leave it 24 hrs. When I ready to color I still try not to touch the lines.

4. Print on the smoother side is better.

Although I enjoy digital stamps, there are some pros and cons. From my experience, I realized that it uses a lot of papers and inks. Because it is black and white only (unless if you use the colored version) you have to color the images all the time while you can stamp the rubber stamp in different colors or heat emboss.

It's hard to color the detailed image with markers so I started using Prisma colored pencils. It colors smoothly. Not likely markers (of course except Copics) you can give a depth in coloring.

Thanks for spending time to research.

Seongsook Duncan  – (June 5, 2010 at 6:24 PM)

Forgot to say "Thank You" for the free digital images. Great!

Card Crazy  – (June 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM)

I use my HP F4400 all-in-one inkjet, with Wausau 140# bright Copic paper, and Prismacolor pencils painted with Gamsol mineral spirits. There is no smearing, the outlines are crisp and clear and the colors stand-off very well. It takes a lot to saturate the paper, which is very helpful. I've always had good luck with this process.

Cheryl  – (June 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM)
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl  – (June 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM)

I use a lot of digis.

I use an HP Deskjet D4160 but I have to use the ink you use for photos (opposed to the regular colored ink). For primsacolor pencils and OMS I have the best results with Georgia Pacific card stock. For Copics/alcohol markers I use Neenah solar crest. I also used the GP for water based markers but need to be careful to avoid smearing. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions I can help you with.

Cheryl
shestamps11-blogs at yahoo dot com

Card Crazy  – (June 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM)

Can I add a note? Sometimes, if printing background papers, I'll use a more porous paper; Bazill card stock, etc., because I want a little more saturation in order to get a softer background effect. It still works well.

Anonymous –   – (June 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM)

I have an HP 5550 and use white paper, usually 110 wt and I use colored pencils and a aqua painters. I'm pretty new at making cards but this seems to work for me. I've only made a couple but do want to thank whomever is giving us the digi''s....

Cookie

debb  – (June 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM)

I have an old HP 1315 all in one printer. I use reg HP ink but only use the black (because I rarely use color and the ink seems to dry up if not used!) - I print on Neeneh classic crest paper and heat set the image with my embossing gun. I then usually color with copics. Some colors of copic still smear the ink if the ink is heavy but for the most part, it works. Watercoloring of any sort does not work with this ink, even after it is heat set.

helloholley  – (June 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM)

I haven't had much luck with digi stamps....they come out funny.....the lines are pixeled....no matter what size I print. So I do need help!! I have a Lexmark x2600....it doesn't give me much options when I hit print!! So,I'm not sure what to do.....I did manage to print a silhouette one awhile back which did fine....and most recently on the free digi that we got that was a bear in a rain coat,I printed him out already colored.....and he was fine!! It's the 'line art' ones that seem to be the trouble makers!!! Someone help this unsavvy computer stamper!!! ;)

helloholley  – (June 6, 2010 at 9:08 AM)

Sandy,
Thanks for the response...I do click on them first(and it will get bigger), and then I right click and 'save as'.
Does that sound like I'm doing it right??
But then when I click on the image to print....I hit print,then it just prints.....w/o giving me any options!!! Maybe I'll get my hubby to look at it next time to see what I'm doing wrong!!!! LOL!!! I don't know much about computers or printers....is it obvious?? ;)

Sandy  – (June 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM)

I have an HP Photosmart 3210 All in One. It works GREAT with every coloring medium I've tried as long as I use the Walmart GP cardstock or better. (With toothy papers, anything can happen!)

I don't have to heat set or wait on it either, it works just great with no smearing.

While we're talking digis - a lot of people say they get a pixelly image when they print. You're likely downloading the thumbnail version = when you see a digi to download from a blog or website, click ONCE on it FIRST. That should open a new window with a large image, and you want to right-click on THAT one to download. :)

Sandy  – (June 6, 2010 at 9:14 AM)

Hmmm Holley that *should* work?? Sounds like Yolanda has the same printer - message her and see if she does anything special to download or print properly?

TN Granny  – (June 6, 2010 at 10:55 AM)

What printer model are you using? (brand and model will help!)I have an Energy Star HP all in one and I also have a Cannon.

What do you color them with? (if you can, do a quick test for us - see if watercolors, copics, regular markers, or pencils make it smear) I use all my images with Copic's, SU markers and colored pencils.
Do you do anything to the printouts to keep them from smearing (like heat with an embossing gun, etc)? I do nothing to the images.
Any tips for the printing side of using digis? I use Georgia Pacific White card stock weight 110 from Walmart and have not had a problem.
Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Jeanine

Karen Howard  – (June 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM)

Wow, I can't wait to see the results, this is awesome!

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R380 Printer. I print on PTI White and am able to use Copics, Colored Pencils with Gamsol and Stampin' Up Watercolor Wonder Crayons and Aqua Painter with no smearing at all. The water based markers such as Stampin' Up and Tombow make the ink smear though.

I don't do anything special after printing other than wait a few minutes to make sure the ink is dry.

My printing tip would be to put four images in one word doc to print all at once so you have a couple images to practice coloring and also so that you have enough space to cut circles, ovals, etc. around the images.

Christine  – (June 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM)

I have an Epson CX3810 and it works perfectly with all types of mediums. I've used watercolor pencils, watercolor paints, Copics, colored pencils and pencils with OMS. No issues at all!

Also, if you're having problems with running, try using a higher quality like a photo.

Blessings,
Christine

Velda  – (June 9, 2010 at 8:38 AM)

I used my first digi image yesterday. I printed with my Canon ip4700 on Georgia Pacific white cardstock. I let it sit for a day, then colored with Prismacolor pencils and mineral spirits. No smearing. I have no markers to try.

Andrea6760  – (June 15, 2010 at 2:28 AM)

I use an HP Deskjet F380 inkjet printer and have made numerous digital stamped images without any issues.

If I want to 'color' my images right away, I heat set the image with my embossing heat gun. When I print out my images, I do many at a time to save waste on paper and those I do not get to the same day, I let sit and the next day they are fine for coloring.

I use primarily Copic markers for the images, but also use Prismacolor Colored pencils and odorless mineral spirts.

One thing I would like to mention which I feel is important when working with digital images is the type of paper/cardstock being used. Although the most recommended paper for Copic markers is Neenah Classic Solar White 80 lb, I have found a less expensive alternative at my local printing company and use Wausau Exact Ice 80 lb. As with the Neenah, the Exact Ice has a smooth finish and the Copic markers work wonderfully. I have also read that some cardmakers use Georgia Pacific 110 pound White Card stock from Walmart and it works well for them. I purchased a ream, but have not tried it yet with the Copics.

Because the inkjet printers are different and some dry faster than others, try several different types of paper, heat set some, air dry others and use a medium of your choice until you get the best results.

Sorry to ramble on. I also have some input on some really great digital stamp websites and even some sites that offer 'freebies'. If anyone would like some information or there is a specific forum posting for digital stamp image info, please let me know and I will be glad to share with all.

Hope my input helped.