Tutorial: Ribbon Ruffles

Thanks this week to Tereza for sharing Ribbon Ruffle embellishments with us. Be sure and visit her blog at The Thrifty Scrapper.

To add a ruffled ribbon embellishment to your card, start by putting down a line of adhesive such as fabric tac or scor tape.

At one end of your line of adhesive, stick down a finger-width section of the ribbon, then pinch the ribbon to make the first ruffle.

Holding the ruffle in place, stick down the next finger-width section of ribbon on the adhesive. Then pinch the next ruffle.

Repeat this process until you complete the line. You can make the ruffles closer to each other, or twist while pinching to make the ruffle less of a straight line.

Here is a short video Tereza made to demonstrate this technique. Notice her shout-out to OWH!

Experiment with different types of ribbon. Add bows or fabric flowers for more variety.

Here is another video Tereza found on youtube. It shows the twisting option and a double row of ruffled ribbon.

Thanks again to Tereza for today's tutorial! Remember, if you have a suggestion for a tutorial topic, or if you would like to share a tutorial of your own, please leave a comment or write us at challenges@operationwritehome.org. And if you use this technique, post a link to let us know. Happy ruffling!

Our Little Inspirations  – (May 11, 2010 at 4:17 AM)

Thanks for the great tutorial and beautiful sample cards! I always wondered how those ruffles were created!

Nancy Keller  – (May 11, 2010 at 8:16 AM)

THANK YOU Tereza for the great tips! I have tried this technique before with a run of sticky tape and failed. I am off to find me some FABRIC GLUE! Way to go! Great video!

Trinity Paper Arts  – (May 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM)

Tereza, Thanks for the tutorial. It is a very nice embellishment and I shall have to give it a try! Blessings and thanks, Louise Fox

Jeanne  – (May 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM)

Thanks for the tutorial! I saw the ruffles on the card sample and was wondering how they were made. This probably saved me an hour or so of playing around and failing to make it work!

Caro  – (May 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM)

Thank you for this great tutorial.. the cards are beautiful. This is one technique I will definitely use!

Marianne  – (May 14, 2010 at 6:56 AM)

Great tutorial. I gave it a try over at my blog.

diaryofascrapbooker.blogspot.com/