Featured Cardmaker: Kathy P, White Lake MI

Finding Operation Write Home was like “coming home.” My best friend heard about Cards for Heroes, and, although she’s not a card maker, she knew I was. She pointed me in the right direction.

While I’ve made my own cards for years, I really got into rubber stamping when I retired and took a part-time job teaching classes at a local rubber stamp store. In card-making, I’m intrigued by what can be done with the “tools” (paper, inks, stamps, paints) so I’m really more of an “assemblage” person.

My “workroom” is half of the basement! It’s divided into quadrants. One for rubber stamping, paper arts and paint, one for glass bead making, one for fiber and fabric, and one for sculpting/clay. I’ve a large worktable so friends can gather and “create.” It’s not fancy but it sure does serve its purpose.

I confess to being a paperholic with racks of paper from all over the world; I can’t resist. And I collect all sorts of embellishments that appeal to me (even bits of beach glass, discarded keys, twigs, postage stamps) so when inspiration strikes, I’m prepared. I’m currently having a love affair with pearls, bling and ribbons. Never do I pass up the “discount” section of a craft store!

Different techniques appeal to me at different times. I like to learn new ones because you never know when you’ll be inspired to use them. Since I’ve begun to make cards for OWH, I’m really conscious of the materials I use so that our military heroes aren’t adversely impacted by the product (I avoid glitter, pearlized powders, and even limit my use of glittler-glue).

I always believed that we, who are so blessed, have an obligation to “give back”. OWH is a great way for me to do this and put my talents (and all that paper) to good use at the same time. My father was in the Navy. Family members and friends have been (or are) currently serving in the military. It sounds like a cliché, but “I’m proud to be an American”; and, supporting the men and women who have chosen to serve our country is one of my ways of “giving back.”

Rhonda Miller  – (May 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM)

Wow, these are some great cards.

Yolanda  – (May 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM)

I'm drooling over the butterfly card and the Thinking of you card on the bottom.

Bev E  – (May 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM)

Your cards are really wonderful. I wish you lived near me so I could take your classes.

Paula  – (May 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM)

What beautiful cards. I especially love the butterfly and the thinking of you cards is a perfect way to really showcase a pretty paper. (I will most definitely be casing that layout!) And saying you're a proud American doesn't sound cliché to me at all. I could stand to hear that a lot more!

ChristineZ  – (May 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM)

Kathy, your work is beautiful. I also live in White Lake - hope to meet you sometime.
Blessings
ChristineZ

Dixie Cochran  – (May 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM)

Kathy, you're the best! Thank you for allowing us to showcase your beautiful work!!

Karen Howard  – (May 21, 2010 at 3:14 PM)

God bless you, Kathy! You are truly an inspiration to us all!!!

Our Little Inspirations  – (May 21, 2010 at 5:24 PM)

Hello Kathy, so nice to meet you, get to know a little bit about you and see some of your beautiful cards! I too am proud to be giving back to our military, so American pride goes a long long way!

Maggie  – (May 21, 2010 at 5:37 PM)

Hi Kathy, Your cards are beautiful! You're a talented woman for sure. I just recently moved to Michigan and live very near you. I would love to get together sometime to make cards!
Maggie

Maggie  – (May 21, 2010 at 5:50 PM)

Just noticed that Christine is from White Lake too. Maybe the three of us could get together!

Marianne  – (May 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM)

Beautiful cards. I too am a paperaholic. Is there a twelve step program for that?

helloholley  – (May 22, 2010 at 6:38 AM)

All your cards are so wonderful!!! Very creative and inspiring!! ;)

Lyn B  – (May 24, 2010 at 5:36 AM)

Kathy - May I say how lovely your card samples are! I teach paper art classes also and find it a wonderful extension of doing what I love!