Recipe Card Tutorial

Many thanks to Erika for today's tutorial. You can see more wonderful things from Erica at her blog, Crafty Rika.

This idea is from a challenge at 365 Cards . They challenged us to make a card that we could use to stick a recipe in. My thinking was that this was perfect for those deployed who like to write longer letters than the space available on a typical card.

Start with paper measuring 10.5 x 5.5.

Score the paper at 4.25 inches from side A.

This is the regular center fold for your card.

Tip - If you don't have a ScorPal - you can use a regular paper trimmer and a bone folder - just make sure you don't use the cutting mechanism by mistake! (Been there, done that!)

Score the paper at 2" from side B. This is the fold for the pocket.

Fold papers in toward each other - and you've got your template.

Adhere the 2 inch flap ONLY along the sides - this allows a pocket for the letter. I've attached mine with brads since the glue I normally use doesn't stay for this part of it. You could probably adhere it with glue if you use a ribbon as well; or adhere it using eyelets or grommets.

To get a regular sized paper (8.5x11) to fit simply fold in half lengthwise, then into thirds.

Thanks again to Erika! This is a wonderful way to adapt a card to suit the special needs of our heroes. Please leave a comment to let Erika know what you think of this tutorial, and if you make recipe cards of your own, please leave us a link so we can admire your creations.

Karen Howard  – (April 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM)

This is awesome, definitely will be trying this one out! Love how it allows more room for a letter to be enclosed.

Anonymous –   – (April 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM)

Thanks for the great idea!

Jan Hunnicutt  – (April 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM)

What a cute idea, I've done this for gift cards on a much smaller scale.

Julie –   – (April 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM)

Perfect! This is one of those simple ideas that I wish I had thought of! Could be great for an AnyHero letter or to tuck a photo inside. OH MY GOSH - I think I just figured out my birth announcements!!!

scrappinheaven  – (April 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM)

this would be great to help use up your paper scraps too. instead of folding the 2" at the bottom...just glue on a 2" piece (only along bottom and sides). that way you could still use 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock.

Jeanne  – (April 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM)

It might be a nice touch to stamp a coordinating image on the 8.5 x 11 paper inside too. That way it looks more like a complete stationary set. I'm definitely trying this tonight!

Trevorstuffmammas  – (April 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM)

Better use of your 12 X 12 paper too....Liking this idea!! Thank you!!

Kajikit  – (April 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM)

What a clever idea! It makes a lovely card and it would be really nice with a sheet of fancy writing paper in it (or two...)

Andrea  – (April 13, 2010 at 7:42 PM)

Fantastic Idea! Gonna try it next time I make cards!! THANKS!!!!!

Kajikit  – (April 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM)

I made a couple of pocket cards inspired by your tutorial... :) http://kajikit.blogspot.com/2010/04/365-cards-white-space-week.html

Trifle Recipe Cards  – (April 21, 2010 at 5:59 PM)

Trifle Recipe Cards, the Internets fastest growing recipe card company, was created out of a desire to provide a product that is affordable and adorable. Furthermore, our recipe cards are designed, customized, personalized, and printed right here in the USA. Each recipe card is made with premium card stock and water resistant ink to ensure they withstand the rigors of your kitchen.

coloradoleen  – (April 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM)

This is a fabulous idea!! I'm going to save this tutorial and use it in the very near future!!

buy postcards  – (November 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM)