Featured Cardmaker: Paula P, Rathdrum ID

This week meet Paula, and enjoy her cards! Feel free to leave her a comment at the bottom of this post.

How long have you been stamping?
I've been stamping for about 12 years. I didn't start stamping until I retired from a full time, full stress job, and my husband and I moved to northern Idaho to rest and relax and build our dream home. That first Christmas, I purchased a stamp set for our Grandson through my craft book club. When it arrived, I thought I would just try it to make sure it was age-appropriate for him. And as the saying goes "the rest is history."

Do you have a craft room or specific area where you stamp?
Yes. When we were building our home, we selected one of the bedrooms to be converted into a craft room for me. At that time, I did a lot of different kinds of crafts, painting, lots of embroidery, some sewing, to name a few. But as soon as I got hooked on stamping, all those other hobbies took a back seat, got packed up and stored in boxes, and I haven't looked back once. My room is now filled from top to bottom, front and back, with stamps and supplies.

What are your favorite stamping products?
I love anything that helps me make cards. I've found out that I'm a paperholic and a hoarder, to boot. I buy background papers and embellishments, then hate to use them. I really enjoy my dry embossing machines, the Cuttlebug and the Big Kick, along with the fantastic variety of embossing folders and die cuts available. They give me a lot of versatility in the shapes and styles I can make for my cards. Last year I was introduced to Copic markers and little by little am adding to my supply of those.

I enjoy trying different folds, lots of layering, and using my Cuttlebug and Big Kick, as well as all the punches I've accumulated. I also like trying different background techniques using my stamps to make my own backgrounds, and it seems the messier the technique, the more fun I have with it.

I try to use many different colors and combination's of colors on my cards. The design of the stamp and accessories I plan on using dictate the colors of card stock, markers and inks I use. My favorite colors are pink/red/burgundy, and if I'm not careful, all of my cards would be done in those colors.

I belong to a stamping group, and once a month we select a theme as a challenge for the next month. One month we saw an article in Scrap & Stamp Magazine to make cards for Cards for Heroes. So we decided to make that our challenge for the month, and I and my friend Judie just continued making and sending in cards ever since, almost a year and a half now.

It's something I can do for the men and women who are sacrificing so much for the freedoms and safety of our country, and helping to secure peace and freedoms for the people of other countries. It gives me great pleasure to share my love of card making with others and knowing that in some small way, I am helping families and friends hear from their loved ones.

Jan aka StampQn  – (April 16, 2010 at 7:02 AM)

Great cards Paula. Thanks for sharing with our heroes.

Rhonda Miller  – (April 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM)

Great cards. Thanks for all you do to support our troops. I might have to case a couple of these.

kssdesigns  – (April 16, 2010 at 8:35 AM)

beautiful cards! Love your style!

Jan Hunnicutt  – (April 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM)

Nice to meet you Paula! Your cards are wonderful, that ladybug is so cute and I really like the bird and ;)

Paula  – (April 16, 2010 at 11:33 AM)

I love your clean and simple designs. Your cards are beautiful and it's wonderful to get to know fellow card makers here. Thanks for sharing talent with OWH.

Anonymous –   – (April 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM)

Your cards are beautiful. So nice to meet you!

Nancy Keller  – (April 17, 2010 at 8:42 AM)

Hey Paula! It's nice to meet a fellow Idaho-ian! I'm down in Ammon (just outside of Idaho Falls) Your cards are great and it is really nice to meet you!

Trinity Paper Arts  – (April 17, 2010 at 9:36 AM)

Paula, Your cards are quite creative and I really like your stamping style. I could strongly relate to your comment about buying things and then not wanting to use them - I have wondered if I was the only person who did that! And I have wondered if my hobby was collecting stamping materials or stamping! Thanks so much for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it! Blessings, Louise

digirl  – (April 17, 2010 at 9:39 AM)

Hi Paula, love your cards- who is the adorable elephant made by?
thanks- diane

Cheryl  – (April 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM)

I too buy things and then hate to use them because then somehow i'm afraid they'll be gone and ill have to buy more and I may not be able to find that exact thing-lol-but I keep telling myself over and over thats why u bought it -is to use it so I'm getting better besides I think half of the joy of scrapping is buying scrapping supplies -lol

Norma Soulet (AZArtist)  – (April 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM)

Hi Paula,

Congratulations on being featured here. I didn't know you were doing this. It is great that you are putting your card making talents to good use. :)
I am sure you make our troops very happy with your beautiful cards. :)
Keep up the good work.
Hugs,
Norma S.

Inkyhive  – (April 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM)

Way to go, Paula. . .I always like your cards and I am sure they bring much happiness to those that receive them. Congrats!!
hugs your friend, Inkyhive

Jodi –   – (April 23, 2010 at 10:04 AM)

Hey PP, it all sounds like Greek to me, but I am one of the fortunate ones who receives your fantastic cards personally. Luv ya, Jodi

Anonymous –   – (April 24, 2010 at 1:33 AM)

That's my Auntie! :) Look forward to her creative, fun, cute, and sometimes, witty cards for holidays and other special occasions!
What a nice thing to do, Auntie!
Too cool! Love you! XOXO
Feliza AKA :)MundO

Stephanie B. –   – (April 25, 2010 at 6:34 AM)

Paula,
This is awesome. I love the card that are on here too. congrats!!!!

Stephanie B. (WKRS)