Cardmaking 301: Dahlia Fold

Many thanks to Kate for this great Dahlia-folding Tutorial! Be sure to follow her blog, Hello From Kate!

When I think of Mother's day cards, I think of flowers, so now is the perfect time to make flowers using the dahlia fold. These flowers always impress, and they are much easier to make than they look.

You will need:
  • Double-sided paper - Pick one that has a lot of contrast between the front and the back. Both sides should fit the color scheme of your card.
  • A circle punch. 1-3/4" is a good size. I've made one with circles as small as one inch, but the smaller the circle, the bigger your fingers feel when it's time to do the folding.
  • Coordinating cardstock.
  • An adhesive, such as a glue stick, that allows repositioning.
I made this video for the mini blog hop last summer. We were making Christmas cards at the time, but the steps are the same.

Christmas
Dahlia demonstration
from Kate
Mrdja
on Vimeo.

If you're not able to view the video, or if you want written instructions to have for later, here are the steps.
  1. Punch eight circles from your designer paper. These will be your petals.
  2. Punch one circle from the cardstock to be the base. The base isn't meant to show, but
  3. occasionally it will peek through between wayward petals, so keep that in mind when selecting the color.
  4. Fold the designer paper as illustrated:

To assemble the flower:
  1. Fold the cardstock circle in half, creasing it all the way across.
  2. Fold it again the opposite way, creasing so that the intersection of the creases is the center of the circle. If you are going to be using a brad in the center of your flower, punch a hole in the center of the cardstock.
  3. Use the gluestick to cover the entire surface of the cardstock circle.
  4. Position four of the petals along the crease lines, so the points meet in the center.
  5. Slide the remaining four petals in between the first four, to fill in the gaps.
Things are going to be sticking out all wonky, and some of the petals will be stubborn from time to time. This is normal, and it will be fine. This is why we used a glue stick, so we could make adjustments. Just keep sticking the petals back in and scrunch them together until you get them the way you want them.

Before you know it, you'll look down and realize it's a flower! Here are some samples and variations:

Variations:
* Decorate the center of your dahlia with a button or brad.
* Fold half the petals the opposite way and alternate the petals for more color.
* Use a scallop circle punch for more flourish.
* Make budding flowers by sliding one or two petals inside a green petal.
* Make a half-flower look like a fan, or the tail of a turkey for Thanksgiving.
* What ideas do you have?

Seongsook Duncan  – (March 2, 2010 at 5:57 AM)

Wow~ this is so great tutorial and beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Trinity Paper Arts  – (March 2, 2010 at 7:18 AM)

Kate, What a sensational tutorial. I enjoyed it so much and will start the pursuit of "the perfect paper" to try it. Thank you for the gift of a new tool in my tool chest! Blessings, Louise

Rhonda Miller  – (March 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM)

Wow, these make great flowers. TFS.

Bekah's World  – (March 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM)

I love this tutorial! And will be using it for the Mother's Day cards! Thanks again for sharing it!

Kate  – (March 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM)

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial. I'm looking forward to seeing your dahlias!

Caro  – (March 4, 2010 at 2:51 PM)

I have no idea how long it will take me to "get" this but I'm going to try as flowers are lovely. Thanks, Kate!

Kate  – (March 5, 2010 at 9:35 AM)

Caro, you're going to find it's much easier than you thought! Let me know if I can help.

Martha  – (March 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM)

Thank you for the video and diagram. I'd forgotten how to do the fold and wanted to do it again. Today I put up the two cards I did using your instructions. http://peachypapercrafting.blogspot.com/2010/03/dahlia-fold-cards.html

Kajikit  – (March 6, 2010 at 9:51 AM)

They didn't put a Mister Linky on this post... but I made a dahlia fold card today to try it out - http://kajikit.blogspot.com/2010/03/last-week-on-stars-and-stamps.html

Gloria Westerman  – (April 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM)

This is amazing.....thank you so much for sharing this with us.....your card is beautiful.....again thank you so much......

Shari Winterstein  – (June 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM)

I've been watching this video and just as you were making your paper airplane on the small DSP it stopped. You way of doing this is so much easier than the first time I tried.

Shelley  – (November 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM)

thanks for the great tutorial! the flowers are awesome.