Cardmaking 301: Trifold Shutter Card Tutorial

This tutorial is labeled a "301" level card, and may be challenging for newer cardmakers. Don't get discouraged if this is not your "thing!"

The Trifold Shutter Card is one seriously fancy card—for very special occasions! The instructions here make a card that fits into an A2 envelope (some online tutorials make a larger card); however, there is very little room for our heroes to write on a card like this. If you choose to make these, please decorate a matching cardstock insert to place into the envelope along with the card so our heroes have something to write on - if it's decorated (a stamped or inked edge, etc), it will be clear to them that they can write a note on it, rather than just wondering why there's a blank paper inside the envelope!

Many many thanks to Marcy K, Canton OH, for putting together step-by-step instructions and photos, and providing such a pretty sample card! She learned it from Jan Tinklenberg's blog.  [Diagram in the pdf at the end was produced by OWH to match Marcy's measurements.]

Trifold Shutter Card
Instructions starting with a standard 8 ½” by 11” piece of cardstock and, when folded, this fits in a regular A2 envelope (standard size for handmade cards).

Cut the cardstock to 5 ½” by 10 ½”.
Scores are from the short end and run edge to edge at 1 ¾”, 3 ½”, 7” and 8 ¾”. This just shows you how the cardstock should be on your cutter (I’m a very visual person – descriptions don’t work well for me!!!)

Next cut a slit 1 ½” from each edge and run between the first score line and the last score line. And here’s a shot of how it looks once your slit is cut. As you can see, I was supervised the whole time I did this to make sure I got it right!!

Now the folds – a series of “peak” and “valley” folds. They are a bit tricky! First “peak” fold the top and bottom thin sections but DO NOT fold the middle section at all where there are not score lines (look at the next picture to see the unfolded middle section):

At the next score, “valley” fold the top and bottom thin sections, and peak fold the middle section:

The next score is peak folded on top and bottom thin sections and valley folded in the middle:

And at the last score, valley fold top and bottom sections; again, do not fold middle section at all. This is a finished look:

Here it is folded up, and how it looks as it opens:
This is my take on this card:

Here's a diagram with panels labeled to match the diagram to follow:

Download this diagram in pdf format. Download this diagram in jpg format.
Thanks so much, Marcy — you've really challenged us with this one!

Are you game to try this one? We'll leave Mister Linky open for two weeks to give you time to figure out this challenging card; after that anyone's welcome to add a link in the comments!

A note for those who join us for multiple challenges; Be sure to copy the FULL url for the whole blog post to copy into Mister Linky. It automatically seems to remember the last card you entered the last time you used Mister Linky, and will link to the post with that card instead!

Kajikit  – (February 5, 2010 at 5:14 AM)

Wow, that's a complicated card design! Somebody gave me a magnificent trifold card they made this way... but I've never attempted one myself.
PS. If you DO make the card, would it work to attach a piece of cardstock the size of the finished card to the BACK so that there's a flat surface to write on?

Seongsook Duncan  – (February 5, 2010 at 7:21 AM)

What a great tutorial. Thanks very much. I made a couple of this card not long ago. It seemed to be complicated at first however, once I made it, it was easier than thought. For heroes to write a message on this card, I have an idea. I am going to try make one and share with you.

Operation Write Home  – (February 5, 2010 at 7:23 AM)

Kate I love the ones you added...at first I thought you had made a bunch this morning, not linked to older cards - I was ready to be even MORE impressed! :)

Kajikit  – (February 5, 2010 at 7:26 AM)

The card-MAKING went great... the decorating not so good. But that was my fault, not the designs! Have a go at it yourself... See my blog entry for an explanation.

Night Shift Nancy  – (February 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM)

Awesome. . . I have a video tut of a larger version of this one. It is awesome to have the measurements to make an A2 size one - I have always been too lazy to figure it out! I sold a bazillion of these at Christmas time. (http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=galleries&u=337849) One thing that I did to leave room for writing was to kind of leave that "F" panel area blank - with a piece of light colored cardstock. Still, there wasn't a whole ton of room. They do make beautiful cards though! My scrapbook.com gallery has a whole bunch of layout ideas for decorating them if you ladies need some. :) I love trifolds!!! Thank you Marcy!!!

Caro  – (February 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM)

Wow! I love this card but I have two left hands soooo next week when we have more rainy weather predicted I'm going to set aside a morning and see if I can figure it out! Would love to use for an anniversary card for hubby in March.. thank you for the tutorial!

Cathy  – (February 5, 2010 at 10:33 AM)

OH my! That might be well above my skill level. I may give it a go though. Thanks!

Patricia F  – (February 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM)

Finally I have made a Trifold Shutter Card! Thanks for doing this in an A2 size.

Seongsook Duncan  – (February 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM)

As I said, I made a card for this challenge and posted it on my blog. Thanks for the great tutorial and fun challenge.

Kate  – (February 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM)

I was totally going to confess about posting links to previously made cards, but the firewall at work would let me post the link but not let me comment. Wierd! Anyway, I cheated, but those are 3 of my favorite cards - esp the first one - and this has been such a crazy week I haven't gotten any cards made at all. ::whew:: thank goodness for the weekend.

Also, great tutorial! I particularly like the template with the measurements, because I always end up having to do the math all over again.

Craftaholic  – (February 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM)

I made these as my Christmas cards last year. Once you get the hang of them they are actually pretty easy. Has an awesome look to it and you can do so much with them. Love this design!!!

Michelle Custodio  – (April 12, 2010 at 8:04 AM)

You have awesome techniques in doing card making. I am really trying to explore the wonderful world of crafts. Your awesome.

Ferry  – (September 22, 2011 at 3:33 AM)

Had to give it a try :-) and it worked :-)
Thanks :-)