S&S Sketch Challenge #2, Ribbon Tutorial

This week's sketch is provided by Karen (visit her blog, Feline Creative, to see her pretty cards!)...and she created the sample card below too. If you'd like to create a sketch and sample for an upcoming week, email Karen at challenge@operationwritehome.org ... she's helping to coordinate bloggers to add content on this blog! *biiiiggg thanks to Karen for helping out!**

Cardmaking 101: Ribbon Tying
To help with this week's sketch, here's one method for tying a bow, courtesy of Wikihow!

The "one loop" method that most people use with shoelaces doesn't produce the most symmetrical bow when used with ribbon. But, with a little tweaking of your technique, you will learn how to perfect making a bow using ribbon.

STEP 1 - Cross the two ends of the ribbon and loop one end under. Do this the same way as when you start to tie your shoes.

STEP 2 - Make one side of the ribbon into a loop. If you are tying a ribbon, make sure that it doesn't twist.

STEP 3 – Make the other side of the ribbon into an identical loop.

STEP 4 – Cross the two loops and pull the loop on top through the hole that exists between the two loops.  This is the same motion you made in step 1.

STEP 5 – Pull tightly.  The bow will look messy at this point.

STEP 6 – Adjust the loops.  Loosen the ends of the bow and keep adjusting until the loops sit evenly.

1. Deloris
20. Lauri
21. Sandy
22. Caro
23. Wendy P
24. Dixie
25. Amy

Kajikit  – (January 31, 2010 at 6:25 AM)

It's neat to see everyone's cards scrolling through like that... we all have different ideas for the same simple sketch!
I found another way to tie a 'bow' painlessly on somebody's blog ages ago - take a piece of ribbon and start to tie a knot in the middle. Slide a shorter piece of ribbon through the knot and pull it tight. Voila, you have a knotted ribbon that you can use on your card without the mess of trying to get it in the right place.

Lost in Paper  – (January 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM)

Such an wonderful array of cards!!! It's so cool to see how from a single sketch we all create something unique!!! Way to go!!!

Amy –   – (January 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM)

This is a beautiful sketch. I love the card that was made with it in the post. I am looking forward to giving it a try!

Caryl P  – (January 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM)

Beautiful cards and another great sketch. Can't wait to get started, thanks for the bow tutorial too!

Cazz  – (January 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM)

A really nice simple sketch xx

I'll try and explain how I do my bows. I was shown it by a fellow crafter so won't take any of the credit.

Punch a hole in your card where ever you would like the bow to be. Take a length of ribbon and thread it through from the back to the front & leave a length of about 2" at the front. Take the longer length at the back around the back of the card towards the edge, then take it straight across the front of the card, going across the hole and then wrap it around the back and bring it back up through the hole. Making sure the two ends are either side of the passing ribbon, tie a knot or a bow whichever is your preference.

Hope I've explained it okay

Jeanne  – (January 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM)

I saw a super easy way to tie fake bows from youtube. You wrap a length of ribbon around your card and secure it. Then take a shorter length and just tie knot around the original ribbon. You don't get loops, but I think it looks nice still.

Kajikit  – (January 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM)

I've added mine! It was tricky to get the bow wrapped around the printed paper without messing it up, but I did it.

Martha  – (February 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM)

Oh brother! I thought I had this Mr Linky thing down but I don't. I put the wrong name in the link and then found I had put both links in the wrong post. My apologies!! I can't figure out how to delete my links. Anyone know?

Operation Write Home  – (February 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM)

Don't stress Martha - I can fix links when I export the participants to post it back into the email permanently (since mister linky times out).

Night Shift Nancy  – (February 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM)

Awesome fun - I am loving these sketch challenges! I have posted my cards for Sketch #2! Wow- thanks Karen for the awesome sketch! That one was fun!

Seongsook Duncan  – (February 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM)

Thanks for the sketch challenge #2!

Stephanie  – (February 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM)

I had a lot of fun making a card from sketch 2! I posted it on my blog for everyone to see! Thanks so much

Wendy  – (February 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM)

YAY me! I finished the 2nd challenge before the 3rd is posted!

Dixie  – (February 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM)

Wendy, I'm right behind you! Done!

Just A Pac Rat  – (August 13, 2011 at 7:42 AM)

I created a "Cattitude" card with this sketch on Aug 12th, but can't link anymore. If interested in seeing go to:

It was fun to create and my first (probably last) use of a digi, LOL!