Cardmaking party: Mass production!

These are cards made at a cardmaking party this past weekend in Marysville, Wa....the video was shared first on our Facebook Fan Page, so become a "fan" if you want first dibs! :)

A number of cardmakers prepped designs ahead of time; most of the stamping and cutting was done ahead of time, so those who came for the party were assemblers! A little coloring was needed, but it was mostly gluing, dry embossing, and tying. Here are the individual designs:

What are your tips for mass producing cards, especially at a cardmaking party? Do you create extra-easy designs for novice cardmakers? Sample techniques for everyone to try?

Dixie  – (January 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM)

I haven't hosted a cardmaking event, but I will when my home renovation is done. I have some beginners who want to make cards for OWH so I'll be interested to read what others have done.

Jeanne  – (January 27, 2010 at 10:17 AM)

I'm going to have a family cardmaking party in February. Most of them are pretty crafty, but I'm the only one who's done cards before - and I'm still a newbie! We'll see what creative things we get.

Karen Howard  – (January 27, 2010 at 10:24 AM)

I haven't done a cardmaking party either but do mass produce cards for OWH. I also blog my cards and try to post every couple of days so I like a happy medium. Normally I'm making cards for a birthday or anniversary for family and friends so while I have all the supplies out I figure out how many more cards I'm able to make with the paper and embellishments on hand then I cut the paper to the various sizes needed and put the paper and embellishments in a plastic container. Often I change the sentiment on the cards I make for OWH oherwise the would all say Happy Birthday or Anniversary! During the week then when I'm sitting on my tush in front of the TV I assemble the cards for OWH. If the containers build up too fast I go to an all day crop and have tons of fun making cards while I'm catching up with friends!!!

Andrea M. –   – (January 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM)

I'm so happy to see this post! Someone read my mind. I just scheduled a card party for the end of Feb. and was trying to think of what the easiest way to to do it would be. I thought to mass produce b/c I really don't know the creativity level of the ladies I'll be working with and I thought if I did the cutting ahead of time the more cards we could make for OWH! I admit...I'm going to "scraplift" some design ideas from here!

Anonymous –   – (January 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM)

I have gone to four card making parties. The most productive one was the one where two of us put "kits" together before hand. One novice card maker was able to assemble 50 cards and felt really good about it and herself. I had about 10 of 15 different designs. My favorite use of an 8.5 x 11 inch paper is called Ten from One. You cut one printed paper in 10 different shapes and add a few embellishments and you have 10 different cards!

Cathy  – (January 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM)

I haven't gone to a cardmaking party but I do mass produce my cards. I have learned that keeping it relatively simple helps. Work in batches. I like to work in batches of 6 or 12 cards at a time.

Kate  – (January 28, 2010 at 3:16 AM)

We had a card making party at work last month to make valentines for OWH. Two of us prepped card parts ahead of time and then set up all day in the break room. People came and made cards with us during their breaks or lunches, which are staggered, because it's a 24-hour office. So we had short short periods with just a few people at a time. Most of our people had never made a card before. Many described themselves as not at all crafty.

What I learned for next time is to keep the cards really simple, because the two of us who set it up spent most of our time teaching. There were two designs that the majority of people wanted to do (you can tell from the picture at my post http://www.hellofromkate.com/?p=1026 ) Those two cards were very simple, and I had cut/punched everything ahead of time. One required only coloring a small stamped image and the other required stamping one sentiment. The rest was assembly. The participants felt just as acomplished with those cards as they did with the more difficult ones, and we made a lot more of them. (And I made even more after the fact with the leftovers!)

Linda Borsuk –   – (February 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM)

I love reading about other cardmakers' experiences. A friend and I get together weekly and make several cards for OWH in addition to those for personal use. I have a small TV in my craft room (I'm a TV junkie) so now I can craft and listen/watch my favorite shows and be productive at the same time. We also make birthday cards for our local Veterans' Home (some 400+)plus Valentines for the 50 or so women who are also residents at the Home. We truly enjoy our card making and know that they are appreciated. Linda B.